I Forge Iron

Greetings from Alaska!

907Machinist

Hello, everyone!  I am a teenaged metal-working hobbyist from Seward, Alaska.  My great-grandfather, and later on, my grandfather, owned the main machine shop here. Though I never got to meet either of them, I have had the wonderful privilege to learn about and practice machining, welding, and forging with many of their tools.  Someday, I would like to have my own machine shop where I can turn my hobbies into my profession, all the while keeping the family tradition alive. Thanks in advance for all the great information I will undoubtably receive here.

Post number 2 which was  reply to your post can now be found here

• 5 months later...
On November 16, 2016 at 2:50 AM, 907Machinist said:

Hello, everyone!  I am a teenaged metal-working hobbyist from Seward, Alaska.  My great-grandfather, and later on, my grandfather, owned the main machine shop here. Though I never got to meet either of them, I have had the wonderful privilege to learn about and practice machining, welding, and forging with many of their tools.  Someday, I would like to have my own machine shop where I can turn my hobbies into my profession, all the while keeping the family tradition alive. Thanks in advance for all the great information I will undoubtably receive here.

I know the OP is 6 months old, I don't know how I missed it. I think I talked to your Dad or Grandfather in the late '80s or early '90s when they were liquidating the tools and machinery from the "Seward Machine Shop." They let me buy just before the lock out date for the auction. I bought the hammers, tongs, top and bottom tools and the small anvil. I didn't have any way to move the big one though I wish I made arrangements. It was a 1,200lb Fisher, I lived in a trailer court and didn't want it as yard art or a temptation for someone with a wrecker.

I'm hoping you see this Machinist guy. If you get up Wasilla way give me a shout you can come over and use some of your family tools, what didn't get stolen anyway. PM me, we'll swap contact info.

Frosty the Lucky.