I Forge Iron

Wrought Iron Bar?

I got this piece of iron from the iron bone yard of an old cattle ranch.  I believe it is wrought iron, since it appears to have a fibrous structure. When I was forging the end, it started splitting some and I trimmed it off.  This would be my first time forging wrought iron. After I realized it was possibly wrought I started heating it up more.  It forges really nicely.  When I get finished it will be a replica of a Norwegian Viking Tong from found in 2014.  http://sciencenordic.com/viking-blacksmith-buried-his-tools

Is this wrought iron?  What are your thoughts? In the darker photo the metal looks like it has pits in it, but that is just the lighting and scale.  

WroughtIronTongs1.jpg

WroughtIronTongs2.jpg

Greetings Matthew,

Looks to be true wrought iron.. Two easy ways to tell .. A split and bend or a spark test for carbon content.. To forge its best to have it white hot and slow and easy blows to start.  Pay attention to your hammer blows and when you hear a dull thud re-heat .,  Fun to work with if you know the basics. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim