I Forge Iron

A few projects

BlackMetalViking

Here are a few pictures of some of my first projects and a wedding gift I made for my friends.

The first snake is pretty much the first thing I actually forged. Its a little heavy, but it make a cool robust snake pendant.

Snake Pendant.JPG

Here are a couple more snakes I made out of some nail spikes.

Snakes.JPG

And lastly, here is a picture of the scrolled JB that I made for a couple of my friends when they got married

JB.jpg

Nothing special, but I"m happy with them.

Viking

2 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Have you tried a brass brush on the snakes?

I haven't tried yet. I did a little work with a wire brush on a bench grinder, and then used some emery cloth. I'm sure you understand, once I finally got the forge up and running, all I could think about was what to try and forge next. I do plan on doing more finishing work over the winter, and I will definitely try a brass brush.

And thanks Daswulf!

Viking

Yes, a brass brush on the snake's head works well. You can make 'copperhead' snakes like that! And I would say the heat required is a LOT less than forging heat. Well below red. If it's too hot the brass will vaporise.

Try some threaded rod for your snakes; the flattened threads around the head and neck give a very realistic scale pattern.