I Forge Iron

Shop catalog

Michael Cochran

I've seen guys mention the old catalogs showing what a given shop produced in some of the videos I've seen online and have tried to find a copy of one. I'm not sure if I'm using the wrong search terms or if it's something else. I'm sure someone here has one so I figured I'd ask you guys and gals. If anyone has a copy of one and would be willing to send me a copy please let me know. The catalog in question is the one showing the different patterns of tools and items the shop was able to produce, not one like a Buffalo Forge catalog.

I'm not going to be picky as to which country they are from so long as it's some version of English in it. I would like to find one from the US but won't down one from Australia or the U.K.

Thanks in advance, I know someone here's going be able to help me out. :) 

"To Forge Upset and Weld" includes several pages out of a blacksmith's Daybook showing what that particular blacksmith did over those particular days.

A Daybook was basically a ledger listing what they did, who they did it for and how much they charged.  (Also information like the customer supplied x amount of metal towards the project and was credited y for it)

Searching online under "Blacksmith's Daybook" has produced several copies that have been scanned in from the 18th and 19th centuries.

Thank you, Thomas, I'll try that search.

I was watching a video the other day with some English guys in a blacksmith shop and one was wanting a 'Devonshire' billhook. They showed a book that illustrated the patterns for various Devonshire items and their counterparts from (I think) Lincolnshire. That's what I was asking about. For some reason I didn't think to include that example the yesterday.

There are several reprints of 100+ year old Sears Catalogs out there with pages of different tools.  You may want to look into them as well.

I like the DayBooks as they show the wide range of items that the American smith might be doing especially in the country.  The specialized smiths tended to be city based.

I would never thought to look for Sears catalogs. I'm still doing some looking and sadly still not what I was looking for. I have found a few pages from a day book and the prices and the handwriting amaze me. When did we stop writing with clear and consistent lettering? Thanks again for the day book suggestion, Thomas.

I love this topic because doing historical searches is a mania of mine.  I found one copy of "The Balcksmith and Wheelwright" from 1912 (on Google books) and it is loaded with cool stuff.  There is a design spec for a foot powered power hammer, some cool top tools for an anvil, calipers and a few other things.  It is, of course, loaded with ads for smithing equipment as well.  I'll post this one but I'm going to keep looking for a while.  It's fun.

https://books.google.com/books?id=oxVGAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA17&lpg=PA17&dq=blacksmith+18th+century+advertisements&source=bl&ots=2jYm7isSEw&sig=k_SvLcpW3M_6mLwQtXCFSiYMSTY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjR68iOwanQAhUB0YMKHfySCS44ChDoAQgZMAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Forgot to add, it also has a page for The Blacksmith's Song....

Guidebooks on Old Crafts and Tools

"A Museum of Early American Tools"   1964  Eric Sloane

Excellent drawings and descriptions of Colonial era tools and how they were used, by a famous artist.

"Blacksmith's and Farriers' Tools at the Shelbourne Museum" 1966    H.R. Bradley Smith

A collection of museum articles assembled in book form, this covers in depth every common and most uncommon tools found in a historic shop, and how it was used. Many black & white photos.

Photo and Pattern Books

"The Blacksmith's Craft: An Introduction to Smithing for apprentices and craftsmen"  1952    CoSIRA  The first book in the British series on bringing back the skilled building trades. Covers tools, equipment, fire management, processes, materials and projects.

"Wrought Ironwork"   1953   CoSIRA   Book 2 in the series.

All of the tools and techniques to forge a classic English driveway or garden gate.

"Decorative Ironwork"   1962   CoSIRA    Book 3 in the series.

All of the tools and techniques to forge a classic European driveway or garden gate.

"Catalogue of Drawings for Wrought Iron"   1973  CoSIRA

The 4th and largest volume, sketches of products to be copied and produced.

"Practical Projects for the Blacksmith"   1980  Tucker, Ted

If you are stumped for project ideas, then this is the book for you. Lots of photos and line drawings to accompany the step by step instructions.

"Wrought Iron Artistry"    1983  Schmirler, Otto

Almost wordless, this 168 page volume contains 765 photos, sketches and scale drawings of ironwork.

"Der Kunstschmied"  1976    Schmirler, Otto

Another amazing volume of images, this 224 page volume contains over 800 photos, sketches and scale drawings of ironwork.

Thank you, Lou and John.

Lou, I have the link pulled up and will go back to it just as soon as I finish writing a list of books to find.

John, thank you for such a detailed list. Finding books is always fun and now I have a list to find. :) 

I believe that the term I should have been using instead of "blacksmith shop catalog" would be more along the lines of "blacksmith pattern book." It is kind of funny how your brain does not see the obvious sometimes. I wanted a book with patterns to look at/follow but didn't even think to try searching for a pattern book.

I kept looking for fun.  Found a whole load of stuff!

Here is a website linking a bunch of free English historical texts with patterns and details of traditional ironwork:

http://www.hlcollege.ac.uk/Downloads/craftpublications.html

This one is pretty cool.  It is all details of early Anglo Saxon iron work:

http://www.pjoarchaeology.co.uk/academic-consultancy/anglosaxon-ironwork.html

The Blacksmith's Manual Illustrated has details of everything from tools to projects:

http://www.bamsite.org/books/BLACKSMITHS-MANUAL-ILLUSTRATED.pdf

And you can always look through the Colonial Williamsburg catalog:

http://www.williamsburgblacksmiths.com/Catalog/files/index.html

There are many more but I'm overwhelmed with open tabs on my browser and need to stop here to reorient myself!