I Forge Iron

wheel brace candlestick

ausfire

Sometimes you feel like an idiot.

I was making this candlestick from a broken wheel brace and used a piece of heavy stainless steel as a spacer to hold it straight in the vice to weld the base on. Forgot that I wouldn't be able to move the spacer afterwards, so there it stays. Duh!

And the candle doesn't like the 40 degree heat in my shed.

candlestick.JPG

A test of your gas axe skills, see if you can blow it out without damaging the wheel brace :)

Yeah, summer has arrived hasn't it, been stinking down here near Brisbane - got to 38 here yesterday, with a miserable excuse for a storm dropping about 5mm of rain and taking the humidity up to 85% about 4pm.

3 hours ago, Jackdawg said:

A test of your gas axe skills, see if you can blow it out without damaging the wheel brace :)

Yeah, summer has arrived hasn't it, been stinking down here near Brisbane - got to 38 here yesterday, with a miserable excuse for a storm dropping about 5mm of rain and taking the humidity up to 85% about 4pm.

I think I'll just leave the spacer there. It doesn't look too bad and I would make a big mess with the oxy torch.

Big storm here in the north last night, Jack. Blacked out all of Cairns, including the NBL basketball match. Your Brisbane Bullets had it over the Taipans anyway.

Ah you can tell the experienced makers as Ray and Marc demonstrate. If you make a non-catastrophic mistake repeat it a few times and if anybody asks you're experimenting. Then demonstrate why blacksmithing and bull shooting are abbreviated the same by venturing into the art speak realm till their eyes tear up and they pull their wallet out to get you to stop. B)

Frosty The Lucky.

CT: I'm pleased you said the spacer is part of it. Well, no, but as Frosty says, it's not catastrophic. I have polished it up and it looks like it was intended.

Marc: Yes, you can make it work, but you still feel a bit dumb for making such an elementary error in the first place.

Frosty: I agree. A bit of bee ess goes a long way in the rarefied air of the art world.