I Forge Iron

scrap coffee table

ausfire

OK, here's a fun project to use up some of the scrap lying around. I found an old printing frame and filled it full of stuff. A couple of camshafts made sturdy legs. Not sure what finish to apply to stop it rusting. It's a bit hard to clean too with all the intricate parts, so I might bead blast it and clear coat perhaps.

The last pic shows a close up - that's an inlet valve from an old Packard in the middle. If I do another one I'll try to use more long things like the kickstarter and the plier handle, as they help tie things together.

table 1.JPG

table 2.JPG

table 3.JPG

What a great piece to lose yourself in and day dream or meditate to! If I had to derust that I'd just go to straight electrolysis and skip  experimenting. I don't think there's a nook the electrolyte and electrons can't get to.

Frosty The Lucky.

Aus that is absolutely beautiful to my eyes. The filling of the space is great. Love it! 

Mine suggestion would be a flat clear coat as it is and then put a glass top on it. The patina is nice and tho it wouldn't ruin it to clean it up,  I think it would take a little bit away from the look.

OK. Thanks for the suggestions. I made it flat enough that cups etc would sit comfortably on the surface, but maybe a sheet of glass would work well. In retrospect I could have recessed the whole surface 3mm or so into the frame to enclose the glass. Maybe next time.

And yes, I may hold off on the blasting and just clear coat for now.

4 hours ago, Gergely said:

Awesome table! Nice ridle for the eyes :)

Bests:

Gergely

Yes, it is like a riddle. Pieces like this challenge people to identify what the components are. Most bits are obvious, but can anyone identify the long piece, bottom right corner of the frame? I know what it is.

David: Muriatic (Hydrochloric) would be a bit severe wouldn't it? And it would have to be very well neutralised and quickly sealed. I use it for zinc removal and the cleaned pieces will rust before your eyes. A clear powder coat sounds like a good option though.

9 hours ago, BlasterJoe said:

Absolutely stunning. Great work. How much does it weigh.

Well, I haven't weighed it, but you wouldn't want to drop it on your toe. Not too heavy to pick up and put on the bench without too much effort.