I Forge Iron

44 ft Railing project..... dang near the death of me.

David Kailey

Well,

This project was for 44ft of branch railing. I got about half way done when the trailer I had the stuff stored in got stolen.....so i had to start all over.....

But, it had to be done so, done it got.

The section had to fit into an existing railing. It took 6-8 hrs per foot to produce a finished railing and install it.

But it was a good summer job and my daughter worked in the smithy 4 days a week helping and that was fantastic time to spend with her. 13 years old and is efficient using all the equipment in the smithy.

So....... all total 1500 ft of bar stock, hours of texturing, fitting, welding, grinding......lol life of a metal worker.

20160502_190449.jpg

20160502_190517.jpg

20161027_122702.jpg

20161028_103952.jpg

20160727_075841.jpg

20160727_091822.jpg

20160727_103300.jpg

20160727_113049.jpg

20161021_123243.jpg

20161021_123251.jpg

20161021_123257.jpg

20160713_133916.jpg

20160714_123333.jpg

20160715_104335.jpg

20161027_122906.jpg

20161027_122910.jpg

• 2 months later...

A question about railings and such. I know that there are requirements for side loading, mounting, etc, but are there codes or other regulations that have to be followed in regards to clear spaces-allowed size of openings? Personally I feel that one should be able to build what they want in their own home, but I know the gubmints have different ideas at times. 

Nice job, and the bugs are a nice touch.

25 minutes ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

A question about railings and such. I know that there are requirements for side loading, mounting, etc, but are there codes or other regulations that have to be followed in regards to clear spaces-allowed size of openings? Personally I feel that one should be able to build what they want in their own home, but I know the gubmints have different ideas at times. 

Nice job, and the bugs are a nice touch.

I know that in Canada the restrictions are very severe and I'm pretty sure his nice railing wouldn't pass muster. For instance fences need to be completely straight and without footholds for the first 4 or 5 feet. I think interior railings also have similar stipulations as children could climb up the railing and crack their skulls open.

But, if someone can afford 44 feet of custom ironwork, they can probably slip the building inspector a bribe as well.

The big risk with railings is having a baby get their head caught between uprights and strangling. Minimum spacing between slats on a crib is (under US regulations, anyway) 2-3/8"; a quick go/no-go gauge is a can of soda. 

19 hours ago, BlasterJoe said:

So just doing the math you are looking a 28 12hr days? How long did it actually wind up being? Amazing work. Love all the fine detail. You could probly look at it for years and still see something new. Great job.

It took me about 275 hours over 2 months.

7 hours ago, JeepinJoe said:

For stairwells, openings must be less than 4".  In the US many States use the IBC building codes.  2012 IBC building code says you should not be able to pass a 4" sphere through any opening. 

In the US yes this is what is required. This railing meets the code requirements. Oddly it replaced a railing the hat 5" gaps between the pickets and that railing was installed in 1998 15 years after the house was built........So as always there are upgrades and remodels preformed that go on in homes because many things don't require a building permit and so there is never an inspection......but I always like to follow the code.

I guess it is not surprising what you took out was 5" spacing. Like you said many times there is no inspection.  Your work fixed that issue.

I really like your design and the craftsmanship stands out.  It changed the look and feel of the space.  I'm sure you had a happy customer.