I Forge Iron

Where and how do you store propane, ox/ac gas etc?

Glenn

Where and how do you store propane, ox/ac, and other gasses safely?

The containers sometimes leak, and propane being heavier than air, hugs the ground looking for an ignition source. The flame then travels back to the tank and gas build up in a building and it can be a bad day.

So, where and how do you store propane, ox/ac, and other gasses safely?

• 2 months later...

I'm currently in the process of getting my propane forge setup situated.  I am buying a fire extinguisher (has to be class B approved) and fire blanket to keep close to me while forging but in regards to propane storage I ran across a site that has some information on propane safety.  I was planning on making a lean-to shelter off my shed for storage but now I think I'll do it sooner so I can make a spot to keep my propane cylinders far away from my house.

http://www.propane101.com/propanecylinderstorage.htm

• 1 year later...

I have 2 #100 propane cylinders for my forge. They are outside the shop against the wall. Currently I'm using 5 gallon buckets to  shelter the valves until I finally get around to throwing up a lean to. I bought a 50' hose and ran it through the shop wall via a fernco fitting on the outside. My forge is on wheels so I can move it around the shop (tight space so it's pushed to the wall once done and cooled).