I Forge Iron

Where and how do you store gasoline?

Glenn

We all use gasoline to run things like lawn mowers, small engines, generators and etc. Some have a quantity of gasoline stored for the car etc.

They sell plastic 1, 2, 5 gallon containers and I can not remember when I last saw a metal 5 gallon container or jerry can.  The plastic containers can be punctured and the gas leak out, or the gas fumes can escape and sometimes build up in a shop or building. My question is where and how can or do you store this gasoline safely?

The problem I have with the plastic 5 gallon cans is with venting.  We tend to have hot days and cold nights so they blow up during the day and shrink at night--shrinking to the point where they crimp and get damaged.  5 gallon cans are also a bit of a pain to heft and use, especially with the newer safety spouts.

So...next time around I am going to spring for a proper dispenser.  I'll keep a 2 gallon plastic for the actual field filling of the tiller and mower.  Both have about 2 gallon tanks on them.  The proper dispenser is a bit expensive but I figure it'll be there until I am dead and used by the grandkids until they forget who I was.  Hate the price though.

Oh...and current storage of Diesel for the tractor is a 50 gallon drum in the barn but the gas goes in a separate shed.

Something like this http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200484467_200484467

I'd like to get the engineers and whoever approved these new "spill proof safety" jugs to put some gas in a 75 Caddy on a lonesome highway near Dot Lake in a December cold snap and see how "safe" they think they really are.  As soon as they get 5gl. into the tank through the under the rear license filler "gas cap" they can get in, start the engine and warm their hands.

The fuel caddy looks cool and pretty damage resistant but a 55gl drum with a rotary pump would be all I need. Lean the drum back from the bung a little so the pump doesn't suck up condensation and it's golden. Been working for what 100 years just fine?

A fried of mine has a 5gl. plastic gas can that has a valve for a cap so you lay the jug on it's side or tip it, flip up the safety tab and pull the trigger.

Frosty The Lucky.

You can still buy the steel NATO style Jerrycans made by Wavian  from several online vendors. The are pretty expensive as far as gas cans go but they work so much better than any of the plastic junk being sold today. I bought 2 of them a few years ago and have been very happy with them. They have a rubber seal which keeps anything from evaporating and the pour spout is excellent. There is still one gas station in town which sells gas without alcohol and when I keep it in the sealed Jerrycan it lasts a long time. I don't think there is a better option available than these.

Diesel Engines and Water,

Water can do a wonderful job of completely trashing a diesel engine. That is why the engine's filter is so important. Should water get past that filter serious damage will happen.

Moisture condensation, is thus a serious consideration for diesel fuel storage containers.

Water is not as devastating for gasoline engines but it is a serious problem too. Gas stations regularly check for water in their storage tanks. Any condensate water sinks to the bottom of the storage tank, and is detected by using a very large "dip stick". If water is detected, they use additives to neutralize that water.

All of the forgoing is a long-winded message, for us giving consideration to water condensation

SLAG.

We used to "stick" the tanks every night at closing and had a "water cut" marker we'd draw a line down the meter side of the stick. The "water cut" mark would turn bright blue in contact with water and if it was above a certain level we'd do a water draw. The fuel tanks at the service station were laid on an angle so any condensation would settle in one end of the tank where we did our water cuts.

The worst was getting a delivery on a really cold day, the owners loved it because the gas had contracted and we'd get extra fuel for the money, however if it was colder than ambient the fuel would draw water. Same if we got a warm spell, the colder fuel underground would just suck moisture out of the air.

You might have to call around but you can probably get the "water cut crayon" at any fuel distributor. For a small scale like mine I only buy what I need when I need it, the gas station is only 2 miles from here. Putting in a water separator is easy insurance and you can see contaminants in the clear bowl.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 7 months later...

When you get gas for the mower, chain saw, weed eater, etc where to you store the gas can with the extra gas? 

If the gas container were to get knocked over or to spring a leak, are the gas vapors in an enclosed area where they can build and wait for a point of ignition? Can the vapors travel and find a point of ignition? And just how much gasoline do you store, 1 gallon, 5 gallon, or multiple 5 gallon containers? This amount could be a personal use level, so what about the  businesses that USE gas,  do they store it in the building with the mowers, equipment, etc.?  What about the farms that keep large tanks of fuel on hand? 

It is time to bring this thread out of the archive and get people to start thinking, again.