I Forge Iron

OK that does it- I'm outa here!

Stash

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stash:  I love the rocks, I use to hunt in an area known as "Granite Ledge" in Vermont where they cut a lot of thee stones out of faces of ledges and haul them out by ox team in the winter. We would find some they never came for(about 100yrs. later) buried in the leaves and mud and then find the ledges they came from very interesting.  Spent more time hunting them than game but never could have dragged them out! 

I know the "Moving Experience" you are in at the moment we are finishing up a 3 yrs move 200 miles in 9 days the important stuff have been moved over this time the Blacksmith shop, equipment shop, woodworking shop and general fix it shop are done, down to the less important stuff like my wife's 40 yr of goodies. I was doing the same with a loader at both ends and pallets are great esp. with a pallet jack at hand.  But my son showed up 2 weekends ago and picked up my 2 tractors at the shipping end so every thing went to hand labor there. Movers coming Mon. for the heavy stuff that has to go  into the new place furniture and beds.  Good luck on your move your old shop certainly looked like it had "character" time now to do the same to a new one.      

Alright- time for a bit of an update. Bought the house on Monday, brought a few things with us  to follow settlement.  I guess you could call it a symbolic gesture- I brought a small anvil and stand, with a hammer. I set it in the new shed area and gave it a ring. Looking forward to doing it with hot steel. We got a few more loads in the last few days, including today. Our black friday gig was to have family see the new house, and we all loaded our vehicles with stuff. Just gotta get haulin' now. The movers will do the house Dec 7th, but I can get going now. No deadline to get out, either, so this will be an extended process with all the stuff I'm shifting.

Steve

IMG_2432.JPG

That looks like a great space Steve. I like the "clear" lights around the roof, it's really hard to beat natural light.

Recently I've started replacing the incandescent lights in my shop with LED strip lights. They look like fluorescent tubes but aren't effected by low temperature and are WAY more efficient. The two I got are equivalent to two 40 watt fluorescents but use IIRC under 15 watts. They're bright white too, you can get different colors and they're rated in temperature Kelvin, I'm having trouble wrapping my head around that one. Anyway, If you need to hang lights in the shop I highly recommend LEDs.

I think you told us already but my memory is shot and I don't want to read all the past posts so please forgive me for asking, what's the size?

Frosty The Lucky.

Jerry -let me know how the lights work out. The new shop has 8' flourescents and if the LEDs work for you, I might be tempted. I actually haven't given details on the new shop, so here goes: It's 24x 36, pole barn construction. It actually has electric in it, I just need to get a 220 volt box wired in and I'll be good to go. I have 2 overhead doors on the front, and 1 in the back plus 1 man door. Out back is a 1000 gal propane tank that feeds the house boiler and backup generator- I might see if I can get a line inside for the propane forge.

I did a little loading today- got the better part of the shop ready to haul tomorrow. I discovered the tip- over limit of my little loader. I had 700#  of anvils on a pallet on a slight down slope, and I found myself up in the air. Great adrenaline rush! Here is the start of loading, and the finished load.

Steve

IMG_2433.JPG

IMG_2434.JPG

Check around with lighting stores, LED prices are coming down fast and they have a way to use fluorescent fixtures, some have converter things and others don't need them. They don't need the ballast so you bypass or remove it. You have to ask an expert I got 4' 120v strips and you can wire or plug up to 8 in a row. They have 8' strips as well as LEDs to replace the big mercury vapor indoor or yard lights.

I saw the conduit and outlet on the wall behind you in the pic. You DO plan on more outlets, YES? Can't have too many outlets nor lights.

Sweet shop you have to pack full there Steve.

Frosty The Lucky.

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 9:47 PM, Lou L said:

Hey Dale,

I, and I'm sure everyone here, would love a photo or two of your new shop as well!  Thanks for those horse shoes!

Lou  I will look for a couple they are mostly just the outside at the moment, the inside at the moment looks about like the back of Stash's truck.  When stuff arrives from CT anything that doesn't seem to  fit somewhere else shows up in the shop.  It now has 3 coal forges of varying sizes plus a gas forge 3 steel work benches welders and anvils & tools and a 4 wheeler and a pile of junk residing there at the moment.  Hope to be there full lime after the 2nd (will believe that when I see it.)  Will sort that stuff out soon I hope.  If you Run short of horse shoes I've got plenty just a bit of a longer trip to pick them up.

Stash nice looking shop there enjoy it good luck with the move there is light at the end of the tunnel sometimes not a train! 

pic 1 is the graded and Posts in.

pic 2 filling it with gravel that washed into my yard from Hurricwhole farmane Irene about 60 yds. of it

Pic 4 after a friend came up from CT t spray stain it for me  16' x 20'  8' door

pic 3 after the floor was poured

pic 5 the whole farm.  everything but the big barn we have built since 2003.  Getting ready for retirement which is NOW.

Best I have at the moment

11 15_0358-1.JPG

11 22_0329-1.JPG

14 10 06_2294-1.JPG

14 09 01_2254-1.JPG

DSCF1288.JPG

9 hours ago, Frosty said:

Beautiful spread you got there Notown but you got things backwards, the garage looks bigger than the shop! What's up with Dat?

Frosty The Lucky.

original plan was to ad the  blacksmith shop on the back of the 4 vehicle garage/workshop but a friends wife convinced mine that that would be a fire hazard so I said I would build it separate across from the garage where I really wanted it when we built.  The garage was built large enough to get the tractor in with 5' snowblower and still get 2 vehicles under cover out of the weather but that isn't happening this yr with all the "valuables" stored in there from the move. 

Big barn is still very much like when the cows, horses and oxen left in about 1950 so plans are to make it a private museum as I have a large collection of old farming and logging equipment I'd like to display.  The hay lift system is still in place and all roped up for use hope to give it a test hop this summer sometime.  Used one similar in a livery stable when I was a kid.  There are no cars stored in there as I hate cars.   Always have.   

Wow, you have a beautiful property notownkid. Colour me jealous.

Out of curiosity, I would have believed that a forge would have benefited from a chimney to help get the fumes out. Why no chimney on the new shop or am I wrong in believing this?

I can understand you not liking cars, spent too much time BSing people into buying them to want any more to do with them than necessary. Same thing with me and drill rigs, I'll take enough of a look to ID the rig's maker and maybe evaluate how it's set up as I drive past. I don't ever want to get close enough to need ear protection ever again.

Good move not attaching the shop to the house or garage. Better for insurance rates too. Barns are nice but harder to remodel than most folk think it can be hard to remove decades hoof mixed of manure byproducts from the ground, it takes a more excavation than folk think. Of course that's what we invented diesel fuel for. B)

Fall must be breath taking.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty I didn't notice that the Farm Picture was Foliage Time I'm so use to seeing it but you are correct it is nice to see.  I remember when I came home from the Army and it was foliage time a very special memory most of it seeing the Army base in my rear view mirror but this part of Vermont has been part of my family for 4 generations.  I knew adding it to the garage wasn't a great idea but my wife didn't want it out front until her friend started talking Fire.  I was once a Vol. Fire Chief and knew the dangers but "wives know best". 

7 hours ago, Hammerdom said:

Out of curiosity, I would have believed that a forge would have benefited from a chimney to help get the fumes out. Why no chimney on the new shop or am I wrong in believing this

You are right about the  chimney

I've had a few false starts here with what the forge would be first it was going to be a brick traditional style and my son was going to build it as he was a mason at one time but haying and logging and a life got in the way, then I had a champion cast forge I've had for 35 yrs and tried to get a shield & chimney built for it and after waiting for months I discovered the guy had died that was going to make it, then another big heavy forge showed up in my shop from a friend and I now have found a guy to make me a chimney set up and hope to get the guy who built the shop to come back in the spring and put the chimney through the roof.  Also  have to rebuild the bottom of the forge as  the steel is burned through it was run on gas before in a large machine shop.  

Most of the problem I was only home for a few days a month as I worked out of state for many yrs. and getting another farm ready to sell.  As I told Stash there is a light at the end of the tunnel I think mine is about to blossom forth and hope it isn't the train again.  I've been using the gas forge for the little time I've had to work in the shop.  I have everything on wheels so I roll it to the sliding doors and one anvil is  on wheels as well so it works somewhat for small repair work or small stuff. 

Wow, Dale- that is a beautiful compound you have there. Is the siding white pine? I will certainly be watching to see how you set things up as I'm busy setting my shop up. It is an exciting time. I've been losing a lot of sleep lately, with all that's happening, and the next week and a half will be the big push. Time to just do it. Got the truckload into the shop space, but at this point am not really sure how I'm going to set things up. I have some Ideas, just need to measure and set it to grid paper and just play with some trace paper.

Steve

Dale, I just got home from Stowe, VT a few hours ago.  I was there with some family enjoying an alternate to packing 28 people into my house for Thanksgiving.  Didn't want to come home.  I happened by Richard Spreda's shop in Stowe but he was nowhere to be found.  How far was I from your place?

Stowe road wise about 1 1/4hrs north west of us. Tons of tourists?  Did you come up I-91 to I89N?  If so when you went by Exit 1 on I-89 you were about 15 miles from us.  (we get off I-91 at Exit 8 and come up from the south)  After this Fri we should be there full time, back in CT to pickup a couple more loads house is 99% cleaned out now and the Vermont place is about 225% full!  You have my number but don't use the cell as it doesn't work in our valley..

13 hours ago, Stash said:

Wow, Dale- that is a beautiful compound you have there. Is the siding white pine?

Yes the material is Native White Pine planed one side tongue and groove.  This is the third out building this fellow has done for us, fast and very reasonable and always charges less than his estimate.  They set the poles and then went hunting for 2 weeks and a day and half it was all up.  They own the "Jenny Farm" that is always on Vermont Calendars and his uncle and now him and a brother have been building pole barns for 40 yrs in our area.

On 11/28/2016 at 8:46 AM, notownkid said:

Stowe road wise about 1 1/4hrs north west of us. Tons of tourists?  Did you come up I-91 to I89N?  If so when you went by Exit 1 on I-89 you were about 15 miles from us.  (we get off I-91 at Exit 8 and come up from the south)  After this Fri we should be there full time, back in CT to pickup a couple more loads house is 99% cleaned out now and the Vermont place is about 225% full!  You have my number but don't use the cell as it doesn't work in our valley..

Yup, I drove right past you!  Although I was one of the detested tourists there weren't many of us.  It was the very beginning of the season.  We spent the time with family just to get away from the usual rush of the holiday.  Beautiful country and we made plans to move to VT as we drove home.  I showed my wife the pictures of your place and she fell in love.

Fair warning about being 225% full.  You will have half of those boxes unopened in five years.  Don't allow them in your shop!  I just managed a massive clean out of my garage after years of suffering with boxes of the wife's stuff.  JHCC saw the "glory" of my cluttered garage and I'm proud to say it is final,y a useable space.

1 hour ago, Lou L said:

Although I was one of the detested tourists

Not Detested but please leave money lots of it.  Picture of farm is nice  but will see if I can find a winter shot of it, as my uncle said VT 10 months of winter and 2 months of bad sledding!

I understand the stuff not unpacked and fume every time I pick up a box or tote what got packed BUT it is mostly my wife's stuff from 45 yr. on that farm and she knows best.  she didn't say much on the amount of tools and steel that I hauled up here.  Interesting thing is we now are living across the road from the farm her family ran a girls summer riding camp on and we first met in 1963!  Full circle.  Keeping close watch on what is going in to blacksmith shop but the big garage/shop is catching it.   

Keep your wife out of Woodstock at all costs real pretty and make believe to the limit

Picture is the same Hill Side as the fall picture but in Feb.

watch for Budweiser Christmas Commercials and you many see the horses crossing this bridge in front of our farm same one it is on you tube as well many of their x-mass ones were filmed here for a number of yrs. 

Can't find other pictures.

100_8286_resized_3251-1-1.JPG

100_8288_resized_3252-1-1.JPG

I moved out to NM from Ohio one January and my wife and our daughter who was still at home were going to show up after school was over.  I bought a house first thing and was camping out in it---my little pickup hauled all my camping gear down plus a propane forge and 91# anvil and a bucket of tools.  Anyway the next thing I did was to enclose the detached carport so that my wife would have a spinning studio and keep some of the house from being taken over by her hobby.  Worked for nearly a decade; now about 1/3 the house is high fiber...My blacksmithing stuff is strictly banished to my shop; save for the smallest room in the house that is not a bathroom which is my study and my bookcases are being taken over by my wife as I move books down here to the border.

Thomas 

My biggest problem with the move is no where near enough space for my large library, 6 full bookcases now still with  about 16-18 tote of unpacked  books and same with art work I've collected over the years.  We do  have a full basement which will have an office/boys lounge/gun room that will have 2 more bookcases but my best books will not go do there.  There is also a workshop going in there for winter work it has radiant heat in the concrete floor as well as the upstairs floors.  At -25F I'm "snug as a bug" esp. since we don't HAVE to go out in it anymore one nice part of retirement. Pick the days and show up at the Post Office a couple times a week 2 miles away rub shoulders with the working stiffs in the little diner out back of the country store, get the rumors and leave messages for people you wish to see esp. my son who's answering machine filled up with messages 4 months ago and he never listens to them, has no  cell phone (they don't work in our valley). 

Did just put my 6' snowblower on my 2150 4x4 JD tractor today, should say my son showed up at noon time (I had left a message for him this morning at the diner) and did most of the installing, I drove the JD and handed him the tools and did the adjusting.  6' bucket on the frt. and blower on the back we can handle just about anything mother nature has in store for us, oh yah heated cab as well. Hope to be somewhere warm by Feb. for a spell.  Life is grand beats what is coming next!    

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back with a quick update. The movers dropped off the household stuff last thur and things have been hectic. Slowly putting things away in the house. I got out to the shed today to start some re-organization. The whole metal shop is jammed into 1 bay of the 3 bay shed, and I will start to figure out rough placement of things. I'll make a run to the old house tomorrow and get my workbench ,vises  and shelving units so I can place them and start putting things away. I spent some time the last few days in the woodshop, too. It is all coming together. I'll try to remember to take a few pix of the current situation.

Steve