I Forge Iron

Who uses a Grizzly 2x72?

Hey guys so I use a KMG grinder but one of my buddies new to knife making is getting a Grizzly 2x72 grinder.  so we were wondering about a couple things first can you swap out out platens and maybe even add glass on a grizzly like you can on a KMG??? second on my KMG I have the attachment for small wheel (like 1/4 - a inch or what ever) I use them for tight spaces like finger notches does the Grizzly have any attachments like this???

that's what I thought I keep telling him to just save for another couple weeks and get the KMG like be but he has been bitten by the knife making bug as a lot of us did early on and he wants to upgrade from using files asap....steve have you heard of any one using these http://grindermaster.com/#vitrina looks like a kmg clone to me however the price is cheaper and its made in Russia so that's not really a plus I have only heard of it recently so I am wondering if any one has encountered this and know about the quality

dodo,

I have a 2x72 Grizzly.  The platten is a fairly simple assembly.  If you have a welder, a drill, and some steel it would be pretty easy to make a new platten.  I believe Grizzly sells plattens as replacement parts.

I've seen a few youtube videos where people glued tempered glass to the steel platten.  I've also seen where people fabricated a hardened steel plate that bolts over the grizzly platten.

Steve is right about the other mods.  There's no way to put a really small contact wheel on it without dramatically messing with everything else.

They come with an 8" contact wheel, there's a 10" wheel you can buy as an add-on which is what I did.

I'm nowhere near a bladesmith but I can tell you that I've used my belt grinder far more than I ever would have thought.  A 2x72 completely changed my perspective on how to make things.  It's easily my most-used power tool.

I can definitely see how the KMG's, Burr Kings, etc. are superior to the Grizzly.  I would suggest that the lack of speed control on the Grizzly is it's biggest down side.  High grit belts heat up the metal very quickly which means finish grinding takes substantially longer.

As a hobby blacksmith, I was willing to accept that I'd have to do stuff like finger grooves with files or drill mounted drum sanders.  I've had my Grizzly for about three years now.  I don't know that I could have saved the price difference between it and the KMG in that time. 

• 3 months later...

I bought a Grizzly back in the fall but only last week got to use it. I also have parts for a KMG clone that I haven't even started building. I had no idea how much of a difference a 2x72 grinder would make. I am considering buying a good machine now as I am well aware of the Grizzly's limitations. Despite its various shortcomings the Grizzly is a realitively inexpensive starter machine. In my shop it replaced a Craftsman 2x42 which hardly qualifies as a grinder.