I Forge Iron

so proud of me

JME

Metal mangler

Time is very valuable, right now my time in the forge is mostly spent learning. I love the idea of making something out of scrap but I dont think I will use it for tools unless I know what it is. The rebar was a good experiment, it was hard to move the metal and the tongs work but not sure I trust them all that much. 

Live and learn, that is what it is all about.

Jme

I Agree with Metalmangler and have a couple bits to add to the opinion. Using known steel for any project removes the often unexpected working characteristics from the project. Learning to blacksmith is a large and never ending learning curve, using a known material removes a whole different craft from the learning process.

Once a person has become proficient working the metal learning to identify a mystery metal's working properties is much easier and you can concentrate on that learning curve.

As Mark says your time is the one thing you bring to the game and is limited. Spending it wisely is a good thing.

Frosty The Lucky.

JME I hope I did not come across as negative regarding your tongs, you jumped in and made tongs...... this is great and no doubt you will get better if you keep it up. You are light years ahead of the people who never start because they might not do it perfect. I have some light tongs I made from 3/8 round i know over 16 years ago they are still going strong. I don't use that steel now but it obviously worked. I hope my comments were seen as helpful not critical that is my intent, sometimes hard to know on the internet.

7 hours ago, metalmangeler said:

JME I hope I did not come across as negative regarding your tongs, you jumped in and made tongs...... this is great and no doubt you will get better if you keep it up. You are light years ahead of the people who never start because they might not do it perfect. I have some light tongs I made from 3/8 round i know over 16 years ago they are still going strong. I don't use that steel now but it obviously worked. I hope my comments were seen as helpful not critical that is my intent, sometimes hard to know on the internet.

I like the comments. I have never been afraid of jumping in and trying something new. Learning the process has been great so far. I dont know about anyone else but I need to have hands on and make some mistakes so I can get better.  

I am trying to make some knifes. (eventually want to make some kitchen knives) this is my latest endeavor. This is a practice blade. Deer antler handle and lawnmower blade. I will eventually be making the blades with stainless but this is good practice for now. Once I make a few dozen knives with different handles I can attempt the kitchen set.  

JMEIMG_20161126_165330.jpgIMG_20161126_165330.jpg  

IMG_20161126_165320.jpg

• 1 month later...

I am practicing my sanding. It is difficult to keep everything even and smooth but I am getting better.

I had a productive afternoon. Made a tomahawk and a straight razor.  

Tomahawk turned out ok. Good for a first try anyway. It was made for a friend. He wanted something to make kindling. It should do fine and I learned lots. I need the practice. Next tomahawk is for my stepson.  

IMG_20170102_152017.jpg

The razor was a lot of fun to make. I will be doing some more of these. I also earned that I should not rush things. I broke it marking with the punch for the pivot hole. Now it is in 2 pieces.

IMG_20170102_151944.jpg

IMG_20170102_154743.jpg

Oh well, live and learn.

Forge on and have fun.

Happy New Year 

JME

2 hours ago, Tubalcain2 said:

not 2 bad fer a newbie.;)

Thanks. I try

57 minutes ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

Good work.

PS: I really like the hot cut you built into the RR track!

Thanks.

I am thinking about a bottom fuller for the other side. Haven't decided yet.