the iron dwarf

making a hand cranked blower

anyone here made one?

did it work well?

was it easy to make?

I can see 2 areas of concern

1) gearing to get required speed

2) making an impeller that is suitable

I am looking into both of these at the moment and I have some ideas to play with,

for gearing I know of a source of geared motors that may have a suitable ratio, will be checking that out when I can and will also have to check the gearbox is removable and can be turned by the output shaft, if it is worm and wheel it cant.

for the impeller I was thinking of laser cutting it and making it self jigging

Making do; basic things for simple living by Arthur M Hill

has one in it; but I can't swear to it as it's at the other house....They were using bicycling gearing I believe.    

Frankly I believe a homemade box bellows would probably outperform a home made centrifugal blower

There was a guy on this site a couple years back that was

making them and selling kits or whole assemblies, his handle was something duck or duck something ....

There was a fellow on the site making a blower from 55 gallon drum metal. Had some interesting ideas and designs.

The best bet is probably going to be to build something along the lines of the old frame type blowers with the frame, large flywheel, and the low mounted blower unit. 
I seem to recall an African made blower constructed in such a way. This one used a bike tire.

Think about what used gears and is thrown away on a regular basis.

Bicycles come to mind. While they may not be considered heavy duty, they are expected to last the life time of the bike and transfer power from the crank to the wheel and propel the weight of an adult male for many hours or miles. And not just the crank / gears, but also use the tire as it will convert one revolution to a greater distance due to the diameter and circumference.

On November 6, 2016 at 1:45 PM, Norseman C.B. said:

his handle was something duck or duck something ....

Odduck.  He was casting blowers out of aluminum.  

16 hours ago, Judson Yaggy said:

Odduck.  He was casting blowers out of aluminum.  

Yeah that's the guy, If he's still around here shoot him a PM,  I watched him develop the stuff

in stages on this site and it looked good ....