I Forge Iron

Flush mount a small item on wall?

SpankySmith

I've had a charity I annually support ask me about making several textured "branches" that will be wall mounted in their office (from which leaves enscribed with donors/supporters names will hang).  I know exactly what they want, the illusion of a branch growing out of the wall.  To get that, the branch would need to be flush, hidden mounted...somehow.  I'm assuming two anchor points for each branch, so I can design 16" on center mount points, but I have no idea how to mount flush without a visible screw or bolt.   ????  Help?

I figured key hole would be best to make it flush to the wall but I can't seem to wrap my school-addled brain around how to forge that exactly, the little part that has the slot the screw slides UP into?   I think my Senior Brain only has so much capacity, and right now it's full of research papers!   Some help on how to forge a keyhole slot? 

A "keyhole" doesn't have to look like the old school keyhole. Think dovetail, just a tapered slot that will hook over a screw or nail head and be held by gravity.

I like the idea of making one or more of the leaf stems screws. That is a beautiful bit of simple efficiency.

Frosty The Lucky.

15 hours ago, SpankySmith said:

But doesn't a keyhole require both the slot and the sleeve for the screw head to slip up into?  I get drilling the hole and filing or punching in a slot, but can't get my head around that sleeve for the screw head.

No not at all.

Assuming you make the branch from pipe just the head of the screw fits into the pipe.

The hole needs to be larger than the screw head, the slot just larger than the shank but smaller than the head.

The slot needs to point upwards.

Frank, whilst pondering this topic that thought had occurred to me, I've used JB Weld before, my only hesitation was the client hasn't told me whether they want a painted branch or a polished one.  I'm supposed to meet with them sometime soon to see exactly what they are looking for.  If it's polished hiding the screw hole with something like JB Weld is just a bit trickier - doable but trickier.