I Forge Iron

would this work for a start of a Forge ??

JT

Hello , I'm new to all this and ran across this and was wondering if this would work for a start to building a Forge ?? I can get it cheap and its pretty heavy duty the size is 40"W X 20" D X 51" T the opening is 33" X 29" and the chimney opening is 8" X 12"... thanks for any comments .. JT

16471[1].jpg

16475[1].jpg

16472[1].jpg

16473[1].jpg

16474[1].jpg

16476[1].jpg

If I had one laying around I'd definitely give it a shot. My guess would be you would probably end up with the fire pot too far under it to be able to forge large or odd shapes. I would think you could easily turn it into a side draft by adding a little sheet metal to the opening. That would make it better in my opinion.

Now you've got me wanting to find one and give it a shot :) 

thank you Michael, I looked up side draft forges and see what you mean.. this could be pretty easily altered and isn't to far off the dimensions I see in some of the drawings... its made out of pretty heavy gage steel..I would have very little invested into it .. maybe its worth a try.. JT