I Forge Iron

Help with a pawn shop anvil

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

The link I provided to the fork lift tine anvil, they didn't own a welder they paid $25 to have someone else weld a free, (scrounged) piece of steel to another piece of steel and ended up with a 120# Steel anvil.  

To be fair, TP, he did have you doing the scrounging for him, and you are The King Of All Scroungers. 

Naw I just told him where the second one was.  I cut that 1.5" rod with my 30" hacksaw and hauled it out of the woods by myself.

When I was moving away from central Ohio, I shared all my scrounging locations with local smiths.   I like fork lift tines as they can be found all over the world and once damaged they are generally scrapped out.

Have you read through the gas forge section? There are a LOT of excellent gas forge builds and plans available. My preference is two 1" layers of 8lb. ceramic refractory blanket with about 1/2" layer of a water set, high alumina cast refractory for the inner liner and a good kiln wash containing zirconium flour.

Don't fall into the all too common trap of making a lot of work for yourself using something just because you have it.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 years later...

CP selling or buying. I have purchased quite a few items through pawnbrokers. Good most of the time. Selling is not much fun as they do not pay you much. If you go back and retrieve your item they take a healthy %. Legitimate business as near as I can tell for the most part at least. 

I've never pawned anything but used to window shop. The one thing I can recall buying for sure is the Paslode pneumatic nail guy I built the house with. Darned near new for well less than half new price, less than renting one and it's still in the shop oiled and ready. I held off buying it till the end of construction season and picked the shop with the most nail guns on the shelves, I probably should've dickered harder but was happy enough. Heck, I don't even mind dragging the air line around with me. 

Frosty The Lucky.