I Forge Iron

Gloves !! grrrrr

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm confused!

Gloves I have some with me all the time mostly from HF and have cut bandaid purchases by 90%.  Problem is when I was looking for a pair this week I found 4 right gloves no lefts so I wore one backwards and my wife started giving me stranger looks than normal.  Blacksmithing I don't generally wear them other than handling the steel in or out of the shop. 

Bare-handed & tongs.  Slack tub to cool things a bit, but no gloves, (or boots except in winter).  Steel shop & lime rock gravel floor is too blasted hot.  My slack tub has a hose trickling all the time for the dogs, horse, pig, so I can just step in when I get over-heated.

I use a heat shield when I'm welding at work; alum fries gloves faster than you can go fetch more. 

8 hours ago, JHCC said:

Or ambisinister. 

Sure, and interesting how the word for left in Latin (and Italian) become synonym for evil/bad/scary. 

Just like in politics ... ha ha

Back to gloves, I hope no one associates the use of gloves with weakness and no gloves with being tough. 

No shoes? No comment ...

I have had really good luck with "Big Jake" gloves.  Not cheap but not that expensive.  The backs are fairly heavy cotton the stitching is kevlar and they "fling off"  pretty well.  They are thin enough not to affect dexterity but thick enough that they last and give a little cushion to your hand.  I find I can get a couple of weeks out of them.  Typical safety supply work gloves I get a couple of days out of, Harbour Freight type gloves I might get a day.

Most of my forging is done on the power hammer or press so I typically wear gloves on both hands but I usually fling off the right one when I pick up a hand hammer.

• 5 months later...

I never wear a right hand glove. Don't like the feel of the hammer through a glove. I had a bunch of good unused right hand gloves until I found a place that sold 'lefties'. Now I just buy a pair of left hand welding gloves for the same price as a normal pair.

• 3 years later...

Cheap HF work gloves and cut the cuff off.  That way the cuff does not get snagged and lock onto the wrist. The glove is gone before they can write the memo.  That said there are times that the cuff is needed and for those times the cuff is left on the glove.

Split Leather Double Palm Work Gloves, 5 Pr.

For the past year and a half I've been using some hobart welding gloves with the short velcro cuff similar to mechanics gloves. They are full leather, durable and pretty comfortable. I'm not a fan of the long cuffs unless they are more sensible for safety aspects like picking up wild critters, or where there is a lot more radiant heat or such. :lol:

Screenshot_20201102-150350_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d4637b5fa9ab47e94dc2b4a87a24f7c2.jpg