I Forge Iron

My first Tong Shaped Objects

VandalEvil

My first pair of Tong shaped objects. The rivet is a little too big (or the stock too small), and the jaws are open a bit, but pick up all of what I have stock for. The reins are not rounded, but I have to build a table for my brake drum to get a fire high enough to work more than the last 8 inches or so. Anyway, I've been told you guys like pics, so here goes. (Please be reasonably gentle, this is the first anything that I have made.)20161028_172420.jpg

20161028_172410.jpg

20161028_172428.jpg

Thanks! Having a blast, and in my book that's what matters!

Not bad at all for your first tongs.  Rivet looks OK.  If you don't like the sharp edges on the reins just use an angle grinder and round them off to suit your comfort.  Probably would be too awkward to try to heat them in the forge and round the edges.  On your next tongs, and there will be more, just remember to round them before riveting.

For the first "anything" you've made good job. Way better then my first. I agree with what arkie said. 

Also the hinge area could be less long and more beefy.  

If they work it's a great success and you will improve from there. 

a picture of them closed all the way would be nice. Yeah. We like pictures. :) 

Look good to me, a LOT better than my first few pair. The shoulder between the bits and boss are a little too sharp, this can cause a cold shut, a failure initiation stress point. Next time do this step over a rounded edge. Just take a file to the edges of the reins and soften them up a bit they'll be fine.

Refining your tong making skills is for the next ones, these look perfectly serviceable, as said already they're TONGS not tong shaped objects.

Well done is understating the work.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 months later...
On 10/28/2016 at 6:31 PM, VandalEvil said:

My first pair of Tong shaped objects. The rivet is a little too big (or the stock too small), and the jaws are open a bit, but pick up all of what I have stock for. The reins are not rounded, but I have to build a table for my brake drum to get a fire high enough to work more than the last 8 inches or so. Anyway, I've been told you guys like pics, so here goes. (Please be reasonably gentle, this is the first anything that I have made.)

Thanks! Having a blast, and in my book that's what matters!

I'll be stoked if my first set turn out anywhere near that good! 

4 hours ago, bubba682 said:

Looks good man are they store bought or homade rivits i'm askin cause im havin a hard time makin mine that nice.

They are pre-made rivets. Not having tools with which to manipulate pieces that small I had to go with some I picked up. The problem was I made them from 1/2 inch stock, but could only find 3/8 rivets, leaving me not much room.

I've since made my second pair, for holding square stock. I made them out of 3/4 inch bar, which worked out much better, but was definitely way more work.

506204462.jpg

506204476.jpg

These are set up for holding 3/4 square up to 1 inch (for the hardy tools im trying to make) and can hold 1 1/4 round. Please forgive the fuzzy pics, they were sent from phone to phone then uploaded...

They aren't real pretty, but they do show improvement and hold what I need them to very well...