I Forge Iron

North Alabama Anvil Hunt

VandalEvil

Hi North Alabama blacksmiths!

I'm only a couple of months into blacksmithing, and have the good old backyard brake drum setup thing going on. It doesn't look like much, but I'm happy with it so far. I still have plenty of learning to do with air flow control, fire management, that sort of thing, and have a few planned upgrades for the near future.

However. As I was just getting started and wasn't entirely sure how well it would take, I tried to go as cheap as possible, and that includes buying the cheap ASO that they sell at Harbor Freight. I knew when I bought it that it wasn't awesome, but even with so little experience I've already learned why.

I know that there are other things available that can be used like an anvil, but I'd really rather just buy an anvil. I've Googled and checked Craigslist, but all I've found are other people looking to buy them, or "antiques" that are decorative.

I can buy one online and have it shipped, but I know there has to be some around that are in need of a good home.

I'm not especially picky, so maybe some of you have seen one that isn't necessarily good for you, but would work for me. I need something I can move easily enough, as I literally work outside, so 70-100 pounds would be best. I'm also not looking to get divorced, so price is a possible concern. It's unlikely that I'd pay more for one I was unsure of than buying one online I guess.

Sorry if my post is overly long and wordy, I do that from time to time. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Ask everyone you know or see at the gas station, all your relatives, co workers, at church, school, neighborhood, ask and ask.  If you still can in your area stop at old farms ask if they have one they would like to sell.  Attend area Blacksmith events and watch auction ads.   Be prepared with $$ and a ball bearing. 

Good tips. I'm a Cable Guy by day, so I have myself and 30ish coworkers, most of whom go into 10 houses a day each, they are looking too. I live right in Huntsville off Airport Rd, so the farms are out a bit...It does remind me that I have some country Facebook friends that might be aware of something though.

Thanks!

Found two today at an antique shop. I'm not sure if either of these are worth the asking price though, adding picts.

The first one is $400. It is stamped USA, but I saw no markings otherwise.20161028_152446.jpg

20161028_152457.jpg

The second one is $285. It is painted silver. it is stamped with what appears to be 55 Lbs and a smaller stamp that begins paa...I had a side image also, but it won't upload for some reason.

20161028_152257.jpg

If anyone has any thoughts about them, please let me know. 

I also found a 120 pound Peter Wright anvil in Chattanooga for $350, but it's fairly far to Chattanooga from here. 

00R0R_9ro5KgJODV8_600x450.jpg

Prolly hard to tell from pictures, but it seems the best deal of the three is probably the Peter Wright, if it's in good enough shape.

Thanks.

The first one is not a stamping but a casting of USA and over priced by several hundred dollars.

The second one I'd like to try the ball bearing test on but it also seems to be over priced.

Third one would probably work but a long trip would raise it's price.  Have you tried the TPAAAT yet to find anvils that people are not trying to make a lot of money from selling?

I've not been able to find the original technique. Even the sticky goes to a topic just talking about how it worked, without the specifics. I guess I got the gist of it through reading a lot of those. My dad has a construction company and knows a lot of guys more likely to have one in a garage or something than anyone I know. I also have a childhood friend that lives off the beaten path, she knows some people that have them that are likely to part with them. So a good start there, waiting to hear back from both. I figured the antique shop anvils were pretty heavily overpriced, and the Peter Wright is more expensive and further away and bigger than what I'm looking for. I'm not desperate, I'm a pretty patient guy, so I'll give it some time.

I've asked around as I've hunted for various other metal goodies, so there is a pretty silly high number of people know I'm on the hunt. 

I'm a little surprised that there isn't a "what steel is this?" section anywhere, given how comprehensive this place is otherwise. I found a welding shop in town willing to part with some tasty scrap for virtually nothing, but I don't know what it is. Other than steel. I'm assuming it's all mild steel, but the scrap pile has some weird things that don't seem to be the usual shop scrap. I picked up a short piece of hammer head sized square stock, and about 18 inches of solid round stock about 2" in diameter or so, but I don't know how to handle heat treatment for Hardie tools or hammer heads and cant find much info without knowing what it is. I'm learning a lot from the Internet and this site, but a lot of reference assumes I know what I have in the first place...pictures can't tell what kind of steel it is, but I'm a pictures guy...

20161029_113424.jpg

20161029_113449.jpg

There are a number of of threads about testing mystery steel.  Google up "spark testing" and prepare for some very non-specific information gathering.  You likely have lots of tong material there...and the big rectangular cube could have any number of uses: small upsetting block or anvil, base for the post leg on a vise, etc...

If you plan to make something of consequence that requires heat treating then you are gambling.  You would have to do some experimental quenches using oil, water and air....file test it...break test it....temper it....break test it....rinse...repeat.

Im most definitely not trying to dissuade you from using the steel.  In fact, it something sparks like it may have decent carbon in it I think you MUST experiment with quench and temper just because it's an amazing learning experience.  The mistakes you will make!  I've only done the process once just for the doing of it (I was making a punch) and it was the best bang for the buck learning experience I've had so far in the forge.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...