I Forge Iron

First hawk... Damascus, of course...

Here's my first attempt at a tomahawk. Not 100% happy with it, but for a first ever try, I can't complain to much. Just disappointed in a couple of tiny flaws in my Damascus that became apparent after the etch, and then I wound up with a tiny gap on the bottom of the eye where it meets the handle. Overall, though, I'm pretty dang happy with it. Made from 1080 and 15n20. Edge quenched, so hopefully the eye stayed soft enough, but then after the oven temper, I also took the torch to the eye and surrounding area and tempered it even further. The handle is walnut. Because I do everything by hand, this was a very time consuming project. It took up a full two weeks of my life... granted that's limited forge time after work and full days on the weekends, but I probably have over 50 hours in to it. Hopefully it shows... I love the end result, but I don't know how soon I'll be trying this again.  Still have to put the final edge on it.

axe 003.jpgaxe 006.jpgaxe 009.jpgaxe 013.jpgaxe 015.jpgaxe 026.jpgaxe 027.jpgaxe 029.jpg

7 minutes ago, BOB T said:

Nice Tomahawk!!! How many layers in the Damascus? I 'am working on some now with Wrought Iron "body" and 1075 steel for the bits. Going to try some Damascus down the road ..  

Let's see... I haven't done the math yet.  There's three separate billets, each with 64  layers then twisted.  Then I flattened those and put them together with a layer of 1080 and two layers of 15n20 between each billet.  So that would be 198 total.

2 hours ago, HEAP of JEEP said:

Let's see... I haven't done the math yet.  There's three separate billets, each with 64  layers then twisted.  Then I flattened those and put them together with a layer of 1080 and two layers of 15n20 between each billet.  So that would be 198 total.

Thanks on the layer numbers ..Nice pattern

• 2 months later...