I Forge Iron

120lb. Fisher

Get metal hot, hot as in high orange or yellow for mild steel, put the metal on the face of the anvil and hit THE METAL with a 2 pound hammer.

Repeat as needed to calm your nerves and avoid the visits to the shrink.

Add your location to your profile, there may be someone closer than you think that can help you. Welcome to the site.

Welcome aboard Ryan, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the Iforge gang live within visiting distance.

Sweet deal on the anvil, Fishers are nice anvils, high performance and quiet. Quiet is a GOOD thing, your neighbors will like you better and you're ears will love you for it. All that fine old lady needs is some hot steel beaten on her face to put a shine on her. She doesn't need anymore cleanup that MAYBE some wire brushing but that's not necessary.

If you want some schooling I recommend you take a look through the sections on Iforge and start doing some reading. Start with the basic smithing and shop setup sections before you start getting into some of the more specialized areas. If you learn the basics of blacksmithing learning all the other cools stuff say blade smithing is just a matter of learning a couple new techniques and getting the feel of a new steel. It'll also give you a handle on the craft jargon, once you know the terms it makes it much easier to ask good questions and understand the answers.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the feedback guys, and sorry for the ambiguity of the post.  I'm just really new to blacksmithing and was trying to gather as much info about the anvil as possible.  Do you guys find a size like this ok for learning, bladesmithing and tool making?

It's a great size to start on. I haven't moved up in size from my 127lb. Trenton anvil yet and it has even had a couple 3lb hammers forged on it. It will serve you well. If you ever need a larger anvil after you get some experience then I'm sure you will know it. 

2 hours ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

120lbs is a great size to learn on.

Also perfect for taking to demonstrations once you've been hammerin' for a while.

If you don't mind, how much green stuff did u fork over on her?

Well funny story, when I was 18 I found it at an estate sale for free and gave it to my dad to hang on to and forgot about.  Went through college, got married, got the career going and 3 kiddos on board and have been looking to expand beyond fabrication and building square stuff. I was talking to my dad about getting into blacksmithing (which he did as a career 40 years ago) to learn with my sons and he reminded me about the anvil sitting out behind his place.  That's it!

Thanks for the feedback!  I'm stoked to get a fire built.

15 hours ago, Ryan Cox said:

Thanks for the feedback guys, and sorry for the ambiguity of the post.  I'm just really new to blacksmithing and was trying to gather as much info about the anvil as possible.  Do you guys find a size like this ok for learning, bladesmithing and tool making?

Go the "Anvil reviews by Brand" section on this site and go through the Fisher section.  You will find lots of photos and information on Fishers.  If you need any more information, PM me here or on Facebook at "Fisher & Norris Factory Museum Page."

I do not think they are dates.  I think they are codes for the pour # and who made the mold.  The moldmaker was responsible for the anvil from the mold to when it went to the finishing room for cleaning, grinding, and heat treating.  This was Fisher's form of quality control.

BTW, the date is for their warranty.  They guaranteed their anvils for one year.  So this anvil could be returned any time in 1886 for another if it failed.