I Forge Iron

Kitchen anvil

The kitchen in our old farmhouse is a work in progress and when I needed to add a steel post my wife requested that it be mounted on an anvil.  Then she went out and found one to use!  Everyone needs a kitchen anvil.  Fixing bent spoons, cracking walnuts, crushing ice, etc.  101 uses.

IMG_0361.JPG

UH. . . . You really have my curiosity up. I get a steel post in the kitchen I can think of lots of reasons. However none involve the kitchen table as the foundation. Not to mention WELDING it to an anvil. . . DRATS I mentioned it and I was trying sooooo hard not to.

Frosty The Lucky.

You be careful, as I was once publicly reprimanded on this very sight by PETA. 

Yes, I mean People for the Ethical Treatment of Anvils. 

Watch out for the hooligans that will say you are destroying a usable tool, even if it's yours!  You know, it's akin to burning books. 

Cracking walnuts? I thought blacksmiths did that by hand, with no help from the cracker/pliers that were always present in the nut dish.

My son can crack walnuts by hand faster than someone using the  cracker/pliers. Makes them upset when he says here let me do that for you.

Anvils can be pressed into service (pun intended) for holding the cooking books open to a specific page, or for pressing the flowers or leaves for the homework assignment. 

10 hours ago, ede said:

You be careful, as I was once publicly reprimanded on this very sight by PETA. 

Yes, I mean People for the Ethical Treatment of Anvils. 

Watch out for the hooligans that will say you are destroying a usable tool, even if it's yours!  You know, it's akin to burning books. 

LOL Ha Ha You could go to Jail for that kinda thing ! There Watching you now !:ph34r:

Krs- Like I said it's a work in progress.  There are 4 @5/8-11 studs welded to the bottom of the anvil, those are thru bolted to a ledger below the counter that is lagged to a pair of heavy posts.  Those go down to the timber sill of the house.  The current counter that you see half way under the anvil is temporary, eventually there will be a concrete counter top poured around the base of the anvil.  Design intent is to wrap the steel post with wood Greek Revival trim to match the rest of the house.  

Frosty and all, I'm not really worried about being called an anvil abuser!  Wouldn't have posted this if I didn't think the majority of folks wouldn't like it.   I welded the post onto the middle of the face, and ran a little cold on the settings, if someone decades from now removes the anvil they should find it only moderately affected by the heat, and not near the edges.  Structural loads are all vertical, the welds are little more than locators, if we need something to resist lateral loads in the middle of the house then everything has gone wrong already.  There are a LOT of this type of anvil in our part of the country, it's an average size (130#), common maker (Peter Wright), medium quality (chipped edges).  There are better anvils being made every day.  This anvil will get far more appreciated and talked about here than in the back of someone's barn or getting occasional use in a garage.  

Besides, it's my WIFE'S anvil.  If she want's it in the house who am I to argue.  Win win.

AlwaysL, are you still looking for any gear in particular?  I have a few things I could send your way, drop me a PM.

I'm a little confused, isn't PETA People who Eat Tasty Animals?

I look forward to seeing the finished kitchen Judson. I like your wife, good taste in decorations. Do you have a fridge, stove and oven in the shop? I have a coffee maker, fridge and toaster oven in mine, sometimes we roast steak a bite at a time in the forge.

Frosty The Lucky.

Shoot there was one Quad-State where I camped onsite and woke up to ice in the top of my wooden bucket.

Now my mother, 80 this year, tells me how her father in Oklahoma used to buy a barrel of cider in the fall/winter and let it go hard and then freeze it  outside and use a red hot stove poker to tap the freeze concentrated stuff...

Not actually a beer heater more like a beer melter. However if you let GOOD beer freeze and pour off the liquid it makes a stiff brew. Winter beer so to speak. No drinking in the shop with power running to anything but lights and radio . . . well okay, the fridge, no tools though.

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome aboard tanglediver glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the Iforge gang live within visiting distance.

If you're around here very long you'll see far worse and stupider things done to anvils by . . . "people" who think they're "restoring" or "repairing" them. for instance taking an air arc to an anvil face when a grinder would cut the welds WITHOUT doing further HAZ damage to the heat treat.

It's his Wife's anvil in HER kitchen she can do what she likes with HER property. Sometimes you just have to cringe and realize it isn't ours so we don't have any say. Were we asked I'm sure using an ASO instead would've been suggested.

Frosty The Lucky.