I Forge Iron

how do you folks break/size your coal ?

Title is self explanatory but I am curious how others break their coal into smaller bite sized portions....  for years, I have just smacked the larger sized pieces with my hammer when I come across them but I recently acquired 150# of some rather large lumped stuff (for free) which takes too much time and makes quite the mess to break up. some have been like a large orange/small grapefruit but most are raw walnut sized.

What devices do you guys use ?  I was thinking that a size adjustable hand grinder type crushing tool would be great for this but have never seen one.

Todd

Much of our coal is in large lumps, some larger than grapefruits. We have a concrete pad outside with a homemade steel tamper. We use it for the big chunks, but we have also learned to build decent fires with baseball sized chunks. We get a fire going with fairly small pieces; then we surround the fire with the baseball sized coal...and put a few on top. As the inner faces of the coal start forming into coke, those areas fractionize and the coke can easily be chipped off with the rake, thus replenishing your fire.

I have a metal 5 gallon bucket and sledge hammer. The hole in the top is big enough to put a scoop of coal through yet keeps the coal in the bucket when I'm smashing xxxxxxxx out of it with the sledge. Like a butter churn. Then I just pour it onto the coal staging area on the forge. Easy peezy

image.jpeg

Todd: I don't understand your dilemma, how hard is that coal? It didn't take me 5 minutes to break a steamer trunk size lump of Anthracite coal into egg to golf ball size pieces when I heated with coal I mined myself and the bituminous isn't half as hard to break.

How are you breaking it?

Frosty The Lucky.

Funny this came up, just this weekend I had the bright idea to grab my welder's chipping hammer to see how it would work breaking coal. Just took some light love taps and it broke up real nice without flying all over the place and I had less of the pea size pieces which sometimes clog my grate. I'll never use a regular hammer on coal again. I use a metal oil drain pan to break it in.

chip.PNG

It's not hard, nor a dilemma, I was just more so curious as to how others do it and if anyone has a neato tool or idea really.  I keep envisioning a hand cranked meat grinder looking contraption with a few toothed wheels that crush any piece into an x-y sized product. I must be stuck on a gravel mill since I live in Gravel Central Michigan (Northern Oakland county is where the last glacier stopped then melted. We also have 358 lakes (due to the gravel deposits)

Todd

Med coal lump

I just put any lumps on or near the fire. A little heat and whack it with the poker and it will fracture into layers. Put the layers on the top of the fire and a little heat and whack it with a hammer. No dust, no small pieces lost.

Look into how a plate crusher works, you can set the size of the output. Orrrr, you could lay a couple bars of whatever thickness you desire parallel on the ground. Pile your coal between them, lay a plate of steel over them and drive the family vehicle over the plate till til stops going down.

Putting it in a cloth bag and taking a B'ball bat to it works too.

Frosty The Lucky.

My Dad made a coal crusher out of a piece of pipe. He welded a plate on the bottom, then torched an opening like a cave entrance. At the top of the opening he added a plate inside the pipe with holes the size of the coal he wanted. Drop the coal in, and beat it butter churn style with an old car axle-the 5 wheel studs did the work. As the sized coal fell through the plate it could be scooped out of the opening in the bottom front with a shovel.