I Forge Iron

Railroad spikes

mouko_yamamoto

I do it all the time, the railroad isn't going to re-use them any more than a carpenter will re-use the nails he pulls out. So I guess you are helping pick up trash and doing the right thing by recycling it. :wink: Heck the guys I work with know that I will trade them a finished spike knife in the blade shape of their choice for two 5 gallon buckets of HC spikes. Also don't forget to pickup those "slices" of RR track, dosent take a whole lot of work to make them into fullers and cutoff hardys. 8)

Only 2 tracks through our town are still used ( and I stay off them), there are at least three deserted main railways and untold spurs around here, some public property some private property, heck one old RR grade runs throught the scrap yard and outbuildings at my job, another is now a bike path all the way around town. Just look for the huge piles of RR ties there is usualy a huge pile of spikes there too. Happy hunting, Oh and keep your eye out for glass insulators too. 8)

keep your eye out for glass insulators too

Oaky, I'm happy to bite on that morsel. What use can that fella glass insulator be put to. What am I missing out on. Don't tell me I could have been making whojaquemephibbies at wondrous profit all these years.

Strine,
Some folks collect 'em, mostly the "pretty" ones, some of 'em are royal blue or purple and even red glass, a rare insulator or two in good shape might be a good trade for that post-vise, tongs or blacksmith's whatever at the local fleamarket or antique shop. As for the broken insulators, the glass is good for mixed media creations, I have had good luck "slaging" with insulator glass it seems to hold up better than other glasses I have tried. 8)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

In November 2009 I walked the right of way from Greenville, NH to Townsend, MA on the old Boston & Maine Railroad Company line which ran from 1851 until
1983 and I found some old antique railroad spikes. I believe I found one that is from the 1860's. That walk was about 20-25 miles roundtrip and it took me from 8am until 3pm to walk it and that is hiking fast, only taking a few breaks along the way. Some of the railroad track is still there on some parts of the trail while other parts is mainly a rough dirt trail with railroad artifacts off to the side. Does anyone out there know how to look at a railroad spike and to be able to determine when it was made or how old is it?

P.S. The best railroad film of all time is, "The Station Agent"-(2003)!

Happy railroad train track hiking!

The trail I was on was the Mason-Greenville, NH Railroad Train Tack Trail, I will return in the Spring of 2010 when it is a bit warmer and nicer time of the year to walk the right of way! Great trail and a great hike for all age levels!

Good time on the walk Fin. that is a stout pace. Never tried to "date" spikes before. They probably made the older ones out of wrought instead of steel. You could sacrifice one to destructive testing for evidence of grain structure vs. crystalline structure

I generaly get all I want from another blacksmith friend of mine.
I am however on the lookout for tram car spikes. They look exactly like RR spikes but are smaller 3-5 inches long. I got hold of four of these at a flea market awhile back and have been hoarding them for special projects.
As for the glass insulators. The early railroad men, 1800's, used to travel with literly kegs full of glass insulators to replace those that the plains indians stole to knap into arrow points. There are some knappers around today that make some beautiful points out these things.
It is reported that Ishi said "the two greatest things that the white man ever invented was glass and glue"

Not to throw a wet blanket on your 'rail walking' but it is a Federal offense...called a 'terrorist act' now thanks to HomeLand Security. You would be wise to check with the rail office nearest you. But then that's part of the thrill...not getting caught!:)

Picking up the ones that have vibrated off the tracks and lay in the rock surrounding it? Really?

When you consider what gets shipped by rail and where those rails go (often right through the center of cities) you can understand why they might worry about folks wandering the tracks.

The RR police have had interesting powers and jurisdiction ever since the great strikes of the 1900's you definitely don't want to mess with them!