I Forge Iron

need help Getting Oil to the front Cylinder

Hello this is my first time asking for help on IforgeIron even though i am regularly referring to past forums for advise. I am working on an older Kuhn power hammer it is a K23 from I believe the mid 90s. It is the older style with the cylinder exhaust chamber in the top back of the hammer. So here my problem. There is not enough oil getting to the front cylinder of the hammer. I have adjusted the oiler to fully open and then to just before closed and everywhere in between. What seems to be happening is that most if not all of the oil goes in the back cylinder and into the 3 way valve on the top air passage and strait up to the exhaust chamber.  I know this because of the excessive amount of oil draining from this exhaust chamber. I have taken both the tops of the cylinders off to check the condition of the cylinders they look fine. The hammer is also hitting well and doesn't seem to be loosing much air as in the front cylinder doesn't just drop when turned off. Could my oil be to thick? I am using 30 weight non detergent which is what the operating manual suggested. Could there not be enough resist from the exhaust? Is that a thing? This is a great hammer and has probably taken a lot of abuse due to the fact that it is in an educational environment. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Nick 

I have a Reiter K23, machine no. 549 from the 80s (Dr Reiter designed it, Kuhn made it and then bought Reiter out) and have always used ISO 32 hydraulic oil in it. Are you sure your book tells you to use engine oil? It has no need to suspend combustion detritus so compressor or hydraulic oil should be more appropriate, others more knowledgeable will hopefully comment. My book specified hydraulic and I have used that in all my hammers (ISO 100 in the 1 and 3 cwt Alldays and Onions)

I read that a sight glass full of oil should be used up in a day. And that the hammer should be greased every week. Having found the right setting for the oil to last 8 hours, I set the lubrication regime to that. If I only used the hammer for a couple of hours a day I would wait till the glass was empty (8 hours) and then top it up, at the same time I put a chalk mark on the adjacent cupboard door. Every fifth chalk mark (5 eight hour shifts) I would strike through the other marks and grease the hammer.

I also squirt a bit of oil onto the tup at start up every time. And I also keep the tup propped up into the cylinder when not in use in order to prevent any angle grinding dust from getting on to the bearing surfaces.

The oil in mine goes into the master cylinder and then the airway...there is no filter to take it out between master and slave cylinder so I would guess yours is working okay. The only problems I have had with mine have been through over-lubrication. Too much oil and the front relief valve would stick open and the tup would climb too high and just cycle at the top and not come down...I had to turn it off, let it fall slightly and turn it back on keeping the treadle down a bit...just cleaning the valve sorts it. Too much grease on the main bearing, the excess came out by the fly wheel and got onto the drive belts causing them to rot after ten years...the replacements have lasted for twenty five now I know.

I built a plenum chamber on mine and fed both inlet and exhaust connections into it. This was in order to emulate the closed frame design of the later models. It successfully prevents the oily air from being pumped into the atmosphere at every stroke. And reduces the chuff noise considerably.

Hope that helps.

Alan