I Forge Iron

Best belt grinder for under 1000

Mengtian

I am sure this has been asked a million times.  What is the best grinder for someone that is starting to do knives and blades?  I am tempted to dive in and get a Variable Speed KMG-8. But  I also want opinions on something under 1000.  Thanks in advance for a question I am sure that has been answered a million time.

BTW:  I am not going to make my own.  I am a pretty good DIY guy but this is something I would rather purchase.  I also heard pros and cons with the Grizzly and am leaning away from that one.

Thanks Glenn....not. If i need any further help I will just IM folks.   I am new to this and was asking for advice.  I will search elsewhere from now on. Sorry I asked for advice.

Ya know what..I found some very helpful people here. One I met today and was awesome.  He took timeout of his today to help a newbie.  Good thing he was not snarky.

I will just go buy the KMG....if that is the kind of help I can expect

A lady at Centsurforge actually recommended this site because they thought you all were pretty good helping out newbies.  Guees not

I was searching the internet just before your above post. The belt grinder you mentioned is $2178.00 so I now know why you are interested in one at half that price. 

You have been a member of this site for 2 days with 7 posts. If you had been to the knife section, you would have found many discussions on belt grinders. We try to assist and provide references to those new to the site. If suggestion you do a little reading in the knife section upsets you, well THAT is where the information about knives and belt grinders is located. If I were to suggest a specific belt grinder that I like, it would be one that either interested me or the work that I do, and may have little benefit to you and the work that YOU DO. You are encouraged to do a little reading and research on your own, to be better informed as to the belt grinder that will fit YOUR needs and the work YOU want to do.

If you do a little research on your own, then tell us what you have found, and ask for advice, we then do not have to start from ground zero and try to bring you up to speed. We can start at your current level of information and give you advice from there. 

the KMG is a good way to go. I do find it interesting seeing the way the question is worded,    like asking what is the best racing vehicle to get, I am willing to spend up to 1000 , that answer could be a Sulky. the term BEST just hits a nerve,  because it is a terrible term to use. sounds exhaulted, but meaning nothing out of context. I easily have 4x that in my grinder and accessories but for $1,000 you can still get a great grinder.

Best way to get a great choil  is with a file, this is because it has the most control for a new person; where after 30 plus years I just get it done on a single edged blade with a Bader B3.  I do still teach beginners to use a file and for double edge I still use a file myself.

for BEST finish I suggest hand sanding, but I personally will not hand sand everything. it is all a matter of context.

Best attachments change method? what is your time worth? In the amount of time it took you to read that sentence I can change my platen for a contact wheel, but I paid the that speed, it makes working much smoother, but  if  you dont mind wasting time to  deal with wrenches and bolts,  it saves money but I feel interrupts the artistic thought flow.

By now maybe you get the idea.  If you read and talk to other makers, you will get an understanding of the advantages and limitations for the various brands and styles of grinders then you can ask better informed questions, and more likely getting better answers.

Its poor form to blame others when you post to the world and wont state location or what monetary system you are using, we have no way of knowing. so your getting upset is your own fault, I added your location since you neglected too, Just because you said you were form TX in another thread, we cant be expected to remember it in this one.  If you are going to choose to blame others for your defects you are facing a rough life ahead.