I Forge Iron

Bowls

VaughnT

6 hours ago, VaughnT said:

IMG_4857.JPG

That is really cool Vaughn!

And I forgot to say earlier that like Gergely, I also forged my dishes hot, mainly because I didn't have a SPoA to use as a dishing tool.

And RobbieG, I dished my pieces freehand on the anvil. I am fairly new to blacksmithing and the freehand dishing was way easier than I thought it might be.

45 minutes ago, tonyw said:

And I forgot to say earlier that like Gergely, I also forged my dishes hot, mainly because I didn't have a SPoA to use as a dishing tool.

And RobbieG, I dished my pieces freehand on the anvil. I am fairly new to blacksmithing and the freehand dishing was way easier than I thought it might be.

That's good to know, I dug a couple of 2mm thick discs out of a scrap bin recently so that will give me something to use them for

1 hour ago, RobbieG said:

Are you all using a version of your SPoA or freehanding these on the anvil? I guess a gouged out stump would work ok - maybe a little smoky if the steel is hot! 

I'm the only person in the world that has a SPoA right now.  If folks are interested in one, my dad's more than happy to make them.... for the right price! :D

Lots of people use the bottom of an old fire extinguisher, O2 tank, scuba tank or the like because it's pretty heavy-walled and the depression works much like the SPoA.  It's not as good as the SPoA because they're not as stout, in my opinion, but they certainly work.  

A wood stump will also work and they've been used for ages.  I don't much care for them because of the smoke and how they always seem to crack right where I don't want a crack, but they certainly do work.

98% of the dishing I do is done cold, even on 1/8" stock.  The hard steel would quickly eat away at a wood stump.  

One of the nice things about something like the SPoa is that it's really durable.  Wood rots, cracks and burns up.... but it does have the benefit of not marring the metal's surface so you can work non-ferrous metals just as easily as ferrous.  

The dish for the candle holder was forged freehand on the anvil because there's only the very slightest dishing to it.  What you see in the picture is just a little bit more than the natural dishing effect that comes from peening the steel.  Start in the center and circle your way out, and you'll see the metal start cupping up right way. 

1 hour ago, tonyw said:

Thanks.  Couldn't have done it without you, truly!  That dish has been sitting on my bench for a year, at least, and it chafed me every time I saw it.  Your idea saved the day!

Forging hot gets the job done.  Doing it cold gives you better control, but it's also a wee bit more difficult because the metal doesn't move as fast.  I prefer to work cold simply for the control - understanding that it limits me to what I can do.  Either way, though, turns out some really good product if you put your mind to it!

I've made a dishing loop from a very large ring from a ring and pintle hitch.  Military and large and heavy.  Also machinery lifting rings.  The weirdest ones were cast iron cups from an eyeglass grinding machine.  Being associated with the SCA a lot or armour making tooling gets made in my shop.  My large H frame screw press helps at times too.

3 hours ago, Gergely said:

Just found Claudio Bottero's FB page. There is some advanced bowl making stuff around dec.8-9. Worth to look at his other works, too.

Merry Christmas!

Gergely

I found his page recently also but missed the bowls - some of his work is just unbelievable! Definitely worth checking out