I Forge Iron

RR Rails for Anvils, Thoughts?

8 hours ago, HoobaJibbs said:

I notice that after sanding the top with 120gr grinder sanding wheel, I can push steel a lot faster and easier than what I had the first couple days. I also rub a little olive oil on the surface to keep rust at bay in humid TX every now and then (probably a sin). Looking at your setup, I'm already jealous. I will say that the RR track is soft-ish, so I'm careful with swinging the hammer full force.

I plan to to get an old 100lb (actual) anvil soon, since that's just what I would be personally be satisfied with. 

Like Charles said...just hit it!  Hot steel is softer.  Also, try using automatic transmission fluid instead of olive oil...it won't go rancid on you.

Shining it up did make the metal move better there is less friction. We don't talk about this a lot or the next thing the more is better crowd would spending days polishing their anvils. Not that a shiny anvil is a bad thing but there's a point of diminishing returns.

Frosty The Lucky.

16 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Shining it up did make the metal move better there is less friction. We don't talk about this a lot or the next thing the more is better crowd would spending days polishing their anvils. Not that a shiny anvil is a bad thing but there's a point of diminishing returns.

Frosty The Lucky.

I have papers with grit up to 8k if you need some Frosty!