I Forge Iron

Coal prices, I found some locally

I have spent a bunch of time looking for coal over the last few days.  Based on location, it has ranged from about low $200 per to ton to about $340 per ton.  That price does not include shipping. 

The standard price for bagged coal is $15 per 50 pounds of Pocahontas No 3, not including shipping.

What type of dealer is it?  If I was hurting for coal I would look around for an old Mom&Pop heating coal dealer.  Or see about ordering some from Tractor Supply Co, they have anthracite, but it can be made to work...And now you know why propane is so popular!  I live near a small town in rural New Mexico and can buy propane at a handful of places on a Sunday evening.  Coal takes  a lot of lead time and a several hundred  mile trip!

Shogun, I personally think the prices being quoted to you are greatly inflated!!  Shop around, as Thomas Powers suggested...you are certainly able to locate some cheaper.  Maybe a blacksmith club in your area.  The prices others in the thread have quoted are generally in line with what most pay.  Our club prices are currently $8 to $10 per 50# bag, others are in the $12-$20 range.  Good luck on your coal search.

Shogun San,

$4.00/lb.?

I think you got lost in the perfume aisle.

The $4.00  price is insane., $2.00 is still nuts. And Centaur Forge and Kayne & Sons's price of $1.00 a pound is still incontinent. (but they ship the stuff 'free" !)

Tractor Supply Company sells anthracite coal for $6.00 per 40 pound bag. That is the St. Louis area, and Belleville South West Illinois, price. There are two T. S. C. stores in Manitoba. One is in North Brandon, and another in Winkler.

I suggest that you phone them to get a price and whether it is in the store. They will order it if you ask.

Anthracite handles differently than bituminous coal. Check this site for information on it. (e.g. it requires continuous air blast or it goes out). But, it has more energy per pound than bituminous coal.

I use it and like it

Try a few bags before you commit to a large order.

Good luck,

SLAG.

I was able to check with a local hardware store that can get 70 lb bags of blacksmith coal in.  $95 per bag after taxes...

They will give a price break if I order a pallet though...

I was at the local food store and they had 10 lb bags of hardwood charcoal on for $5 per bag.  Not optimal but 4 bags are in the back of the truck...

That hardware store is ripping you off as well.  That's $1.36 a pound.  Most club prices are about $0.25 to $0.40 per pound to non-members, a little cheaper to members.

I'd stick with the charcoal until you can find some cheaper coal.  Sometimes you can find bulk charcoal even cheaper.  Just keep your air supply a little lower than coal to keep from burning up your charcoal too fast.

On September 13, 2016 at 3:50 PM, Shogun71 said:

I was able to check with a local hardware store that can get 70 lb bags of blacksmith coal in.  $95 per bag after taxes...

They will give a price break if I order a pallet though...

I was at the local food store and they had 10 lb bags of hardwood charcoal on for $5 per bag.  Not optimal but 4 bags are in the back of the truck...

When I was using lump charcoal I was paying about $8.50 for a big bag at Walmart. I can't remember the exact size but it was about 40lbs I think.