I Forge Iron

Another reminder to wear a respirator or mask in the shop at all times

The pic is of my magnetic clip on sunglasses.  Now here is the story. they were clean when I walked into the shop.  A friend had finished grinding stuff about an hour before I walked in.  It did not take long for them to grow fuzz.  I wet wiped the counter I put them on because these fuzzies are a pain to get off the magnets.  This is what was floating around. an hour after grinding was done.

glasses.JPG

Put a white furnace filter or a couple of white pieces of cloth over the intake side of a simple window box fan and run the fan in the shop for a while.

Mother nature and your body tries to clean out your lungs from inhaling all this junk, crud, dust, particulate matter, mold, fungus, dander, and the list goes on and on, each time you inhale. You cough, wheeze, sneeze, and spit but that is the mouth, not the lungs. You gotta know what you are dealing with that is NOT AIR. Oh, did I mention allergies?

That stuff is on your clothing too. You bring it into the house and spread it around for others to enjoy. When you go into the shop the next day, the stuff did not get vacuumed up by the night crew of shop fairies. It settled all over everything and puffs back into the air with each step or movement you make. And it again gets on your clothing and you again bring it into the house.

Glad you got the message. 

Black boogers are the bodies way of trying to get your attention. The junk also gets into your hair and EARS !!  Did anyone mention this may be why your eyes feel scratchy?

Quite different chemically save perhaps the CO,  It always surprised people that I could deal with coal smoke well but tobacco smoke could put me in an ER as the nicotine could trigger a hiatal hernia attack that mimics a heart attack quite well.   OTOH I had a friend with asthma who had problems with the sulfur in coal smoke where I didn't. 

But possible radioactive particles in the lungs is generally considered a bad thing!

Well, in that light, hopefully the coal smoke is not detrimental.  I'm the same way with tobacco smoke...I can smell it a half-mile away and stops me up something bad!  The main reason I posted the question about coal smoke is that a close friend who is a blacksmith was just diagnosed with lung cancer; he is a non-smoker.