I Forge Iron

Castable Sleeves for Gas Forge Openings?

Steamboat

7 hours ago, Frosty said:

I love watching a "mechanic" experimenting. Sure it's a complex design but everything has a well thought out reason and the execution is outstanding. I can't wait to see how this baby performs!

The term I used above, "mechanic" is something an old long passed friend used all the time to mean someone who can and does figure out how to do things whatever they may be. Turned out it's been around a lot longer than what we might think of as Mechanical machinery. Anyway, I re-read the post and realized it might confuse folk who didn't know Bill Trent so "I esplain." If I'm quoting people why not throw in Ricky Ricardo?

I'll take that as a compliment. Muchas gracias. I hope to get this thing fired up in the next few days, barring any major glitches. I plan to post some photos in the gas forges section. Actually, it's probably an overly complex design, but it's been fun to work on...mostly.

Steamboat

6 hours ago, Mikey98118 said:

Zirconium oxide is the "active ingredient" in ITC 100. When used strait out of the jar, this product isn't all that effective, and certainly not worth its price. But, you can take a small amount of it, and separate its colloidal content by placing it in a clear container, and then add water until the cruder particles drop to the container floor, leaving the colloidal content still in-solution. Coat a small area of the forge with the untreated product, and see how bright that area gets. Then, coat another area of the forge with the treated product and compare the orange color in the first patch with the yellow incandescence in the second patch.

I just may give that a shot...sounds like another good experiment. I could even paint some stripes on a piece of insulating firebrick with the two solutions and heat it with a propane torch, or just toss the brick in the forge and watch what happens to it.

Steamboat

7 hours ago, Steamboat said:

I just may give that a shot...sounds like another good experiment. I could even paint some stripes on a piece of insulating firebrick with the two solutions and heat it with a propane torch, or just toss the brick in the forge and watch what happens to it.

Steamboat

Yea im thinking im gonna to some experimenting

• 6 months later...
8 hours ago, ede said:

Steamboat, whatever became of your forge? Would love to see how this all came together.

Thanks for checking, ede. I did finish building the forge, but our Maine winter and several high-priority projects intervened, so I was only able to give the forge a very brief trial, which was very encouraging. Now that the weather is decent and I'm getting caught up on a couple of other things, I plan to make a few minor "adjustments" to the forge and fire it up again (hopefully in the next week or two) and post some photos of the completed forge in operation.

I always seem to start about three times more projects than I have time to finish, but at least I'm never bored, and I actually do complete some projects from time to time :D.

Steamboat

15 hours ago, Steamboat said:

I always seem to start about three times more projects than I have time to finish, but at least I'm never bored, and I actually do complete some projects from time to time :D.

Steamboat

Well, I hear you.  I have many projects in tow myself until I get sick of trying to multi-task and get back to finishing one at a time.

I look forward to seeing your progress.