Blorph

Champion No. 1 Forge Blower Restoration (stuck gears, greasy innards, rusty everything)

Recommended Posts

A while back I bought for $65 a forge blower; and have been restoring it ever since.

I've been attempting to remove both the grease and rust without power tools (since I'm a broke teenager), with electrolysis and simple green and a wire brush for months now.

13319723_240309276342518_7433078177834064582_n.jpg13312723_240309283009184_5700307556652006971_n.jpg

 

Here are some of the parts after I've cleaned them up a bit:IMG_2006.jpg

Funny thing is that I can hardly find any information about the forge blower anywhere on the internet. Perhaps a couple listings on ebay, but that's about it.

IMG_2007.jpgIMG_2008.jpgIMG_2011.jpg

Gear casing that I just separated today. Any ideas of how I can weld the broken piece back on?

 IMG_2015.jpg

IMG_2010.jpg

Recently removed stand

IMG_2009.jpg

Not sure if I can do electrolysis on this fan. 

IMG_2014.jpgIMG_2013.jpg

The gear is stuck. By that I mean that I can't get it out, but with the handle attached and the other gear installed, it spins rather well. I just want to get it out along with the worm gear so I can actually remove the grease and rust. This and going to the hardware store (at the start of the school year) are my only two obstacles currently. Also acquiring/building a forge without welding equipment.

IMG_2012.jpg

The stand has a rusty bolt that I was able to loosen a tad bit after doing likely the sketchiest electrolysis cleaning ever with the entire stand in a garbage can with holes in the bottom and double lined with garbage bags.

IMG_1998.jpg

 

Any suggestions on how I can push out the axle pin on the inner gear or the brass bushings would be wonderful. Rust/Grease removal as well, including information about this particular blower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is not a popular blower. It is the bottom of it's class in terms of their blowers until the Eureka 140. 

They are the cheapest made in their line-up due to lack of internal machine work such as ball bearings and bushings. 

Having said that;  I use one. As well as the other least inexpensive unit; the Eureka 140. I like them. They work real well. They are not popular as the Midway 70 and 400 were the better made units and more popular. 

I have never had to take it apart. Thus I'm no help at all. Sorry. I did make a nice pipe adapter for it which I take zero credit for.

Most folks jump the wagon in front of the horse and employ duct tape . I guess that is what works best ???? All I done-did was remove that mess and slide-on a two-foot section of 3" exhaust pipe.  The end is upset to set another pipe into it. Perfectly suited to slip over the forge blower. An exhaust pipe hanger serves as a clamp. 

It is worth mentioning that I use it as is. I can't do that with the 400. They are full of ball bearings and require special repair and attention.  

By the way.  Your blower is a "Lancaster" not a no.1 Maybe that will help.

20150913_112539.jpg.4ea1f2c20b631b322d1172a1e381ef46.jpeg

Picture of the ad

20160915_052132.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.