I Forge Iron

cannot get the forge to start.

Kailthir

I have tried everything. Watched the videos, read the how to's, read the forums... put it into practice... nothing.. 2 1/2 hours or trying to start the XXXX thing. Even went and bought a torch to light the coal like I seen on a few videos... nothing. I built the forge, but I have yet to be able to use it. Fustrating. I am at my wits end. Tried the rolled up paper ball, the mushroom ball, the wood and kindling.... nothing works. I have watched people start their fires within 3-5 minutes. I followed their instruction to the letter. I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Picture of your set up?   When I use coal, I use a good smithing grade of bituminous coal---what are you using?  If it's anthracite it's notoriously hard to start and use.

How are you pushing air into it?

I build a scrap wood fire and get a good bed of coals in place and then with slow air start adding coal around the edges gradually working it over the middle and then once I see the green smoke pile on more air and more coal.  If you are using anthracite I'd buy a bag of chunk charcoal---not briquettes and build a good sized charcoal fire and then start adding the anthracite in small pieces to that keeping CONSTANT air on it.  Industrial coke and anthracite are not good fuels for a hand cranked blower of bellows!

all piping is 2" diameter black iron, flange welded to the break drum, 4 inch long pipe, T connecter, 4 inch long pipe to a twist on cap, the horizontal pipe is 6 inch long with a two speed hair dryer duck taped to it. Yes I tried it on low and on high. Am wondering if I shouldn't be trying to use coal instead of coke to start the fire.

cast iron grill. I used the cast iron grilling grates as the interface. I welded one on top of the other at right angles to produce small squares about 3/8". Yes I have a bag of coke and a bag of coal. I figured I would use the coke and put the green coal around the fire to burn off the impurities and turn it into coke. Should I be using the coal to start the fire and add coke afterwards? I have seen people on video start up the hearth with coke.

Make sure that whatever you're using to start the fire (paper, wood, whatever) is well established before you start putting coke on it. Too much raw fuel on top of a fire that's not hot enough just smothers things.

I had some challenges figuring out a way to start my forge because I was using anthracite.  Could be you have the same problem I had:. Too much air burns out the paper, wood, etc.. before the coal catches.  Adding charcoal on top of the paper and using very little air works every time for me.  Whether you use wood or charcoal you just need to burn it slowly enough so that the coal gets going.  I currently use a ball valve to control the air and it works fine.  Will build a sliding gate when I get the blower I desire.

You can even forgo the use of the fan and just wave the paper and wood with piece of cardboard or something until you get your air gate situation under control.

So how big is the area the air is coming through?  1 photo would save a LOT of playing 20000 questions. I can't use a video, just a photo.

So you have a bag of industrial coke probably one of the most difficult fuels to get started and you are having problems getting it started?

Why don't you find someone local to show you how it's done!

Yes as a beginner start with the wood fire and coal and after you learn how it works you can move up to coke.

WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY YOU WERE USING COKE IN YOUR FIRST POST?   "I can't get my car started", 20 posts later: "It's out of gas is that a problem?"

Coke?  Get a bag of "lump" charcoal and start it like you would bbq.  Once it establishes then start the blower and pile on the coke.  Mix some charcoal in if you plan on turning things on and off.  It will help keep the fire going.  Coke is hard to start and needs constant airflow, and a lot of it, to keep going.

I've used various sources of anthracite and I've used industrial coke in my forge and rarely have trouble lighting it. I use a method already mentioned but will repeat it anyway. First thing I do is prop open my ash dump flapper and check my air supply pipe to make sure there is not obstructions I missed from the last fire. While the flapper is still open I light a ball of newspaper and place in the firepot. I then start with small bits of wood and slowly add in bigger pieces. Only after some of the bigger piece so ren burning do I turn on my air on low (hair drier). I start dropping in pieces of coal or coke on the edges of the wood fire and now I close my ash dump. Even with my ash dump closed it isn't aire tigh and allow some excess air blow out there instead of all of it going into the fire. Truth is there is many places where I'm losing air throughout the entire supply route and I still have a little too much air. If your not dumping any you're blowing too hard.

On another note I watched your video and I'd suggest you look at the anvil stands discussions listed here on ifi.

22 hours ago, Lou L said:

Did you try reducing the volume and pressure of the air yet?  I'd love to know if it was a matter of your combustibles burning too quickly for the come to light.

Yes it was a matter of the paper and kindling burning to fast because I had the air on to high. Also a contributing factor was using coke instead of coal to start the fire. I rectified the situation and have started the forge in under 5 minutes. Thank you all for the suggestions, it worked.

"Judge me by the size of my hammer, do you? ...And well you should not! For my ally is the Forge, and a powerful ally it is." ...Forge Master Yoddle

Michael... What's wrong with the anvil stand? Seen many stands made like mine. It works least as far as I can tell. The only change I think I may make is to change the feet. I have 2 1/2" feet on the bottom. I think I need to reposition them. An easy fix.

"Judge me by the size of my hammer, do you? ...And well you should not! For my ally is the Forge, and a powerful ally it is." ...Forge Master Yoddle

Sure it works; just not as well.  Using a vertically aligned stack should not use any more wood and decrease the "bounce" in the system noticeably.  This is a clear example of how people lead other people astray on the internet, and now your example will contribute.  (look at some of the threads on people using plaster of paris for forge liners!  Shoot the stuff degrades just in a campfire----White Sands uses that fact to find  campsites from centuries ago: they built a campfire that converted the gypsum and then a rain came and it hardened into a block that shows up when the wind blew the loose stuff away)