I Forge Iron

anealing rr spikes

I read the bp on it, anneal twice, bring to heat and leave in forge overnight. Well that the way I remember it anyway. I was wondering why they need more special attention than say 95 point straight carbon steel?

2. I was also thinkning that at 19 degrees out the forge kind of cools pretty quickly overnight, and might it be better to put it in the woodstovefireplace over night as it would cool very slowly over a 8 or ten hour period.

thanks.

There is nothing wrong with letting any steel cool in the fire overnight. I'm not a metalurgist for the specifics, but I the slower it cools down, the better it is annealed, particularly carbon steels. Railway spikes shouldn't need anyspecial treatment although cooling them slower to anneal them better might be a good thing as, if they are used, they likely have work hardened as opposed to new 1095.
I try to work on things that need annealing last and let them cool overnight in the forge fire overnight after I shut down or stick them in a barrel of old wood ash I have kept for that purpose. Sticking it in ash works well too as the ash insulates and I've had things still hot enough to burn 2 days later during the summer.

Thanks for the input, I have a bucket of vermiculite but have not put it to much use yet. The warmed sand sounds good also. The high carbon spikes I think were said to be .30 so that is not that much anyway I would not think. I was confused, because of the .95 hay rake teeth. The things I saw on them never mentions a double annealing.

No need for double annealing any steel. For scrap steel being used like springs files or hay rake teeth known to be pretty good steel (or a good guess), not already annealed factory bars, anneal first by just heating up until past non magnetic, then stick it in the vermiculite. RR SPIKES there is no need, heat and beat, normalise, harden then temper.

American Railway Engineering Association's Specifications for Soft-Steel Track Spikes. Original document, 1926, revised last in 1968

Two classes of track spikes are given specifications, both low carbon and high carbon. Two sizes of track spike are identified, one of 5/8 inch square shaft and one of 9/16 inch.

Page 5-2-3: Specifications for high carbon steel track spikes 1968. Carbon not greater than 0.30%, nor greater than 0.20% copper.