I Forge Iron

Show me your blacksmith pets

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been scouring reviews for recommendations on the best brushes for them as I have heard as much.

For now we just picked up a small slicker brush to get him used to the idea of it. Still has puppy fur, so no shedding yet. 

So glad to have finally found a dog compatible with asthma, allergies and children. 

Shall just have to embrace the fur life. Small price to pay 

Thomas coined (at least here) the term "Steel wool couple" Deb spins too. Spinning dog fur takes some skill, it generally doesn't have enough crimp to spin easily. 

Brushing out the undercoat of any northern spitz breed can be a chore, however in recent years, dog safe detangling sprays have been developed. They make a huge difference.

Personally I can't imagine a better gift than having a dog hopelessly bonded to my daughter. I'd be tempted to manacle them together about the time she wanted to start playing outside. 

Frosty The Lucky.

A spot by the stove is to be expected but I think his expression is in reaction to human silliness making him sit on a stool. I'll bet he's as mean as every slobbery whole body wagging happy to meet you pit I've met. 

Were part of our pack he'd have a top hat and stick on carrot nose for Halloween. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

Heh, heh, heh, Min Pins aren't really squirrels, they just multi task like crazy. I believe that's her "This is my sad look, where's my cookie? Do I HAVE to go all adorable on you?", Routine.

Frosty The Lucky.

She is ridiculously fast and has to sniff everything. Although once she has sniffed it all she loves just lying in the sun watching everything.

She actually listens quite well and doesn't bark and yip constantly which surprised me for a little dog. Usually you can't shut them up. She is very smart too. Used to be a good way to keep her occupied was to put a treat in one of those kong toys. Not anymore.... She has figured out she can throw it to break up the treat and then get it out easier.

I was hesitant to take her at first. Little dog... rescue... single owner who left her crated all day then tried to spoil her with treats the whole time they did spend with her.... But overall she turned out to be a great dog. Took a bit to break her from expecting a treat or food every time she came out of the crate, but she learned fast.

We still have her crate, but she is comfortable there. She has a bed in there and she will often just go lie there. It's her little spot she was used to, so we didn't try to take it from her so we weren't changing everything on her when we got her. She has another bed by the couch, and she likes to lie on the back of the couch too (if she's not in your lap), but she still has her own "room" when she wants it.

She will do anything except sit still for a treat though haha. And she likes to "box". I'll put my hands up and she will stand up and start waving her paws.