I Forge Iron

Show me your blacksmith pets

Love too see all the great pets! Here are my two GSDs both rescues Buster and Max. In my 60 years on this earth I have rescued quite a few GSD, Belgian Malanois and a few Labs and huskies no regrets!  They enrich our lives with their unswerving love and devotion. At one point a few years back I had 4 shepherds and a Belgian Malanois, that was a house full. Sadly old age caught up with them and sent them on to the next life. I miss them all. The great Will Rogers put it best: "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." 

DSC01129.thumb.JPG.3bddc4446004df1ad4e8ebffefa426e2.JPGDSC01131.thumb.JPG.efdfb1d7440d3e84f7e1d517ac071c85.JPG

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last dog we had while I was still living with my parents was a brindle boxer named princess. Great dog. she is passed now and I wont have another dog until my daughter is at least three years old lol. For now it's just cats.

Here is our rescue cat someone dumped on our driveway. I'm convinced he was sent to us as our Schnauzer reincarnated to help my wife over his passing. We named him Merlin because he was magic. Smartest cat I've ever known.

Relaxing after a hard day supervising the installation of a new septic tank.

100_0006.thumb.JPG.2bbdd0a3291b12be500b5987c4f07939.JPG

100_0003.thumb.JPG.b531b012a7e31bfb81dd0ca65425dca8.JPG

Timber Ridge, you make them as comfortable as possible, till they cross over the Rainbow Bridge. Our Schnauzer developed diabetes when he was about 7 years old. He passed at 12 with the help of insulin. He would pee in a cup so we could measure his sugar level every day and was active up until his final days. He didn't like the smithy because of the hammering noise but stood guard outside the door when we were working.

Oh he is comfortable I have him on a expensive regiment of medication. He had been diagnosed 6 months ago with a life expectancy of two months he was coughing and lethargic I came up with cocktails of about 13 pills a day that help to 1. Improve blood flow 2. Remove fluid around his heart 3. Increase stamina. The end result it has made him comfortable and active.  I actually have gotten into the business of buying and selling blacksmith equipment specifically to pay his meds.  I have no kids or wife so I can justify it as long as it’s quality of life for him not just quantity.

19 hours ago, Timber Ridge Forge said:

This is my 12 year old Weimaraner. He has been with me since I started blacksmithing unfortunately he doesn’t have long for this world (heart failure) but he has been a great shop mascot. 

Hi Timber. What is his name? What a face... true devotion. Sorry to hear of the heart failure. I hope he stays comfortable and remains as your shop mascot for a long time to come.

17 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Here is Boots, Zora( the grrrr. Pita Kitty) Endura " Beans" and Maskies. Momma " Sophie" is still hiding.

Nice furry friends Das. Do they live inside, or do they earn their keep by keeping your smithy rat/mouse free?

Most are indoor/outdoor. Sophie is the real worker at keeping the mouse and mole population down. 

There are some strays I feed as well. But that also brings these guys out. A couple critters caught on the trail cam one night. Yeah, that's just in one night ugh... I was trying to see what was stealing the food dish. Turns out it's on of the neighbors dogs. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

8 minutes ago, Hans Richter said:

No, actualy they have to keep them Das and Wulf free, without succes :P

Lol

I'm not rubbing your "kitties" bellies Das! You might want to consider discouraging them or they'll den up close so the kits have a ready supply of chow. Raccoons can be really dangerous visitors.

Pretty and fun to watch though.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm going to set up a spot further away to feed the ferrals. I don't so much mind the other critters as long as they stay away from my chickens. I do mind the neighbors dog coming and pigging out on the cats food then stealing the dish. 

All that and the skunk hasn't even joined in yet. 

I have a ferral cat shelter by my garage that I'll be moving this spring. It's 2 tier and has front and rear openings for entry and exit. I'll start putting the food in that so the dog can't get it. Whatever other little critters eat it is fine with me. The cats get their fill earlier then the others come to clean up.