I Forge Iron

Show me your blacksmith pets

Have you considered dog sports with her? Deb teaches "K 9 Nose Work". The basic idea is hide a non food bait and the dog who finds it fastest time wins. Outside of rallies it's usually  just a point system. What I feel is this sport's greatest value is teaching dog people to pay attention to and learn to read their dog. 

Put peanut butter or cream cheese in the Kong and she'll have to learn a new trick. Our Daschund, Baxter doesn't get Kongs, he literally ate the first couple. Yes, ate them and pooped Kong "eraser shavings" for a couple days.  Anyway, something spreadable she has to lick to get to will do it for her. Unless you enjoy the look on company's face when she starts throwing a loud clunky Kong around the place. 

Baxter was a locked in the crate all day puppy. Worse the lady who had him, (a gift from her daughter who had to give him away when the Airforce sent her elsewhere) didn't take the poor pup outside when she got home and let him out. An intact male puppy who's been alone in a kennel for about 10 hrs. and guess what he did as soon as he got out? So she re-homed him and got him back within a day or two. 

Deb and a girlfriend were leaving the animal shelter and met the lady carrying him in, heard the story, put him in our car and brought him home. Neutered and some basic training and he's a near perfect little guy. Still not crazy about a crate but doesn't hate it, actually behaves himself so well we leave him loose in the house if we aren't going to be gone too long.

Falki used to sleep in his crate about half the time by preference. Done right the crate is THEIR space where they can get some private time. In many ways it's better than having their own bed. Our cats prefer the dog's beds when they can't push one of us out of our chair. . . cats.:rolleyes:

I'd like to meet and maybe play with your dog. Heck, I'd love to meet and play with everybody's dog.

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used peanut butter a few times. That keeps her busy a little longer. She's funny in that her treats sit on top of our freezer. You can go to the freezer, walk by it, get the regular food off of it, and she doesn't care. You pick up that treat container and it doesn't matter where in the house she was, she is at your feet.

Cats.... I'll just say that I'm not a cat person and leave it at that. Just not for me.

I'm sure Ginger wouldn't have any issue with you playing with her. Any excuse to run around or be the center of attention is fine with her haha. She will instigate it if you aren't paying enough attention to her or if she's bored. Pull rope in her mouth and paw raised to get your attention is a common sight.

Tilly's a pretty girl. Do Tilly and your goat play? I really like goats, smart, curious and mischievous for livestock, great animals if you don't teach them the wrong games as kids. NEVER teach a goat butting games, like pushing on their heads. Goats love to play tether ball but not so much as singletons.

Frosty The Lucky.

People who call Doxies or Dokles as our German friends call them, wiener dogs have never lived with one. Dachshund is German for Badger Dog. They were bread to track, chase to ground then go into the den and bring the badger back for the hunter. Fast, utterly relentless, strong, very flexible and just crazy stupid brave. GREAT dogs, never underestimate one.

Welcome aboard Jaeger, glad to have you. Sorry about sidetracking into doxie talk, Baxter is a great little dog, nothing small about him. So, tell us a little about yourself, what you do, want to make at the anvil, you know the usual stuff. Oh we LOVE pictures, anything you'd show a young child you didn't want to explain the icky stuff to. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Did someone say dachshund? We have a wire coated mini Doxie named Jim Dandy. You can see how his chest comes to a point in front of him to make a 'keel' which bends a bit more than a flat chest so that when they are underground they won't get stuck

eyJoIjoiNzIwIiwidyI6IjgwMCIsInVybCI6Imh0dHA6XC9cL2FkYXMtb3JlZ29uLWNhcy5zMy5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tXC9DMEE4MDFEOTA5Y2FjMUMwNDdTeVUxRTJEQ0VFXC9BQzFFMDJFOTA4MDk2Mjc0NTdxdG45NzU5MDdBXC9pbWdcLzRmMzI5MmFiMTA4OGVhNGZmZWY2MmFlYmQ5YzYuanBnIn0=.jpeg

Our Church has an annual "Country Fair"  where the dachshund races are a big draw: Line up the dogs and handlers on one side of a yard space and have the callers on the other side. When the siren goes off the handlers release the dogs and the callers encourage them to cross to them.  Much hilarity ensues as many of the contestants want to just play with other contestants.

Hahaha, he's actually got decent clearance once you get past his chest. He certainly was built to dig, I've never seen a 10 week old puppy dig a hole to big to climb back out of in 30 min. I set him in our yard and walked inside to finish the dishes and when I walked out I couldn't find him, all I heard was yipping coming from a corner. When I went over there he had dug a hole a foot and a half deep and couldn't get out. Now his favorite past time on the farm is to chase ground squirrels and dig up their holes

• 3 weeks later...

Two bantams and a family  of kookaburras is all I need, dogs just make noise and mess, and cats are just death on four legs.( Each of five neighbours has at least one dog. Every single one barks at absolutely nothing at all hours, and every cat in the neighbourhood roams free at night, disembowelling small creatures in my yard)

The burras keep the snakes and mice down, and the bantams are for company and cute little eggs... smiley face.

On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 11:57 PM, iron woodrow said:

The burras keep the snakes and mice down, and the bantams are for company and cute little eggs... smiley face.

And they make sure you don't sleep in. What do kookaburras find so hilarious about a sunrise?

3 hours ago, iron woodrow said:

They spend all night wondering what the punchline is, and suddenly it dawns on them!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! That's me and the kookaburras having a laugh at that. I feel a bit like a xxxxxxxx now!

Exactly. The xxxxxxxx was supplied by the moderator. Americans do not know the alternative name for our kookaburras. It obviously has a different meaning over there. So be it.

Wow, you would never get to sleep in with that racket going on outside, Woody.  We have a few at my place and they compete with the guinea fowl.

I  remember teaching history about the convict days in Australia, and it always amused me to read the comment of a newly arrived convict: "Even the birds here mock our misery".

Here's one of ours:

kookaburra.jpg