I Forge Iron

Quad State 2016

I just got home from Quad State.....for those of you that couldn't make it, you will mis on heck of a show. I did my best not to, but somehow I got home with a little cash left over. @ SReynolds...how many anvils did you count? I saw a few...LOL  And I am pooped....I don't know how many trips I had to make carrying stuff back to the truck. And I got lucky and parked close.....Life is Good          Dave

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you didnt read  this thread? 

1 hour ago, SReynolds said:

Man is it hot.  Humidity off the chart. And somehow I missed the fact it was 35.00 to attend.  Not problematic except I did not buget for it. I missed that little known fact somehow. 

see Sept 5 and 6 posts on prev page where we talked about gate fee and discounts for prerigstry

Anvils? 

Like I was tripping over them.

I admit I did not read this page but did read through the sofa website event page. The registration topic was ignored as I am not a vendor

In the past,similar events I have attended are advertised as "gate fee" for visitors and registration is required for vendors. 

SOFA is a little different.  

The best story I gathered was the gent who showed up Thursday in a pickup loaded with small/hand tools. The poor fellow didn't have a chance to park and folks was picking through his  stock he had for sale.

I met some blacksmith fellow from Germany.  Working steel in the demo building.  There wasn't hardly anyone in there but for some sofa volunteers/employees (?) along w/the German fellow. So I spoke to him awhile. Nobody chased me out so I asked him several questions. Apparently Kentucky does not have "blue-grass"

I took my camera and got a few pics. It was tough to remember to pull it out and do that. I think I did get one of the pallet full of anvils, that was bought as a unit as soon as it was unloaded. (gotta check on that) I did see a couple of scruffy looking guys in top hats mozzying  around. Oh, and I did get some nice comments on my IFI tee shirt. (thanks Glen) The 2 cute gals under the awning on the west side especially.        Life is Good              Dave

That is Yoder's Blacksmith Supply pictured above. Near Mt Eaton (ohio) my near-by source for everything blacksmith.

A 500 pound Peter Wright for $3500.

By my estimation, in six years time , the cost of the  anvil and the forge have increased 300%. Old hammers and coal ; still negligent.  Price of the old rusty tongs seem to have followed the trend somewhat as well.

I forgot to get a picture of Mr. Powers and Mr. Sells when I ran into them. I did spend a while with Joshua Kavett and Jim Coke, who is a fountain of information. So without photographic proof, my imaginary internet friends are still imaginary.

But folks kept coming up and mistaking me for the demonstrator from Ireland. I guess if you have seen one bald, burly Celt, you have seen them all........

Just a bit of eye candy....If I eavesdropped correctly, These were sold as a group lot for $200 each. Setting west of main intersection on south side of drive on Friday. Can anyone verify I got it right? In the second pic, the anvil front and center was drawing a lot of attention. Oh and by the way, this is not the only skid of anvils I saw.        Life is good        Dave

PS          JHCC  yes ,  always next year.....     ds

P9220305.JPG

P9220304.JPG

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 6:45 AM, Dave51B said:

I did see a couple of scruffy looking guys in top hats mozzying  around.

I was one of those guys.  Ran into Tom on the last day, but he was being pulled along by someone and seemed to be on a mission, so I didn't get to chat.  Many good deals also went with the auction (very nice, large, CI forge table with extremely smooth functioning Champion 400 hand blower for around $350, and another one in less good condition, but with two loose blowers for under $150).  Weather was hot, but at least no rain.  Along with a large range of anvils there were expensive swage blocks, both mechanical and air operated power hammers (one needing extensive repair went for around $500), a nice hydraulic press, gas forges, post drills, solid fuel forges, a huge array of both new and old hand tools, high carbon steel stock, knife making materials, books and belt grinders.

I filled my car...

• 2 weeks later...