I Forge Iron

Quad State 2016

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, JHCC said:

As it turns out, this will be the same weekend as my daughter's first homecoming at Denison University, a bit less than two hours away. Trying to think how to balance Quad-State with parental obligation....

That's easy, Family comes first!!!

If you miss part of Quad-State, it will return. If you miss a Date with the Kids, it's gone!!

Neil

What he said!  Of course you could just show up and pay for Friday for the tailgating, (or Thursday for that matter).  Sunday is not nearly as active as many folk are shutting down and heading out.  Saturday is the big day for demos IMNSHO.  If nothing else there is always next year...

• 2 weeks later...

i'm trying to get info on camping at sofa,I would like to know if they have showers,or water on site for campers?It will be my first time there and I am thinking about getting there on wed.was considering going to hotel(budget inn) but after reading the reviews I don't know if that is a good idea.

County fairgrounds where folks display animals, so there are a few hot showers in the men's bathroom near the arena building. A few stalls VS 1000+ attendees, so there are lines at certain times of the day, and may or not be hot water. 

The later that you get there, the further you will have to camp from the facilities: important information if you are an old man like me. Camping is in a pretty flat multi acre field/parking lot with only a few scattered trees. No hookups that I know of, no fires permitted on the ground. And all the portapotties are near the buildings.

Two animal shelters at the front or the property, Miami River (a big creek at this point) at the back. Dogs bark all night, river subject to flooding. I slept on the ground last time because I am a cheap XXXX the weather was fine, but would probably opt for a hotel if I go back with rain in the forecast.

There are *2* shower buildings; the New one and the Old one, (unless they have closed the old one down since the last time I was there?).  Potable water is available.  Folks often camp in groups or you can set up in back away from all the fuss---save for the dog pound...

apparently I am not making sense? or I just asked an incredibly stupid question? I was thinking that with so many anvils all in one area at quad state the tailgaters' asking prices would be lower ($1-$2 per lb. ) rather than ($3-$4 per lb.) tell me what I need to clarify or tell me to stop asking stupid questions!

Tonym,

It is not a stupid question at all. I had thought the same also. But I read somewhere on this site that the anvil prices were similar there, quad state, as elsewhere. I do not remember where on this site I saw it  but it was about 9 or 10 weeks ago. (which is no help to you, I am sure.) Sorry. Perhaps, someone on i.f.i. can tell me I am wrong, (I hope), or confirm what I saw. The anvil prices are high, perhaps because of the recent "reality" television shows. Some "vintage" used mediocre anvils are costing more per pound than good new ones.

We both deserve an answer.

SLAG.

No, asking prices will not be half of the going market rate. Not for long, anyway. If they are, the first guy there with cash will buy it to flip it.

It is not uncommon to see an anvil marked $200 in the morning on one side of the field, marked $400 in the afternoon on the other side. If they don't get the price there, they will take it home and put on on CL. They know it will sell eventually.

Moral of the story: Bring plenty of cash, and don't dwaddle.

We smiths are a funny lot.  We as a group will tell you our 'trade secrets', and take the time to help you make you own tools, perhaps we may even give you a tool, but rarely do we ever give a discount price on selling things in a climbing market, we know the going prices for things we have, so asking about discount tailgating seemed odd is all...

The market price is the market price, regardless of what we hope for. Folks who look like extras for a post-apocalyptic movie wander around flea markets, yard sales, estate sales, etc. checking out items on fleaBay on their state-of-the art smart phones to see if something is worth buying to flip. From the odor up close, I wonder if some of them know how indoor plumbing works, but they sure know how supply and demand works.

Don't get me wrong, if I get to go this week, I will be looking for bargains too. But a bargain is something unique, or something that I can not find at home without traveling across the state chasing ads, or going to 16 farm auctions hoping to get lucky just once. My time is worth something, too.

People still find $10 leg vises and anvils for $1 a pound or less, but only from folks who do not know what they have got, or how to market it. The un-digital part of the population. Those same sellers do not know what Quad States is, nor would they show up with a flatbed load of tools for 1970's prices if they did.

I remember a 25 lb Little Giant several years ago that came in at one price on a big truck and was then sold about 4 times over the weekend all before leaving the truck.  It had each price written in chalk which was then crossed off and a higher price written below the previous one. 

At a farm show venue many years ago, I bought a leg vise off of a guy before he got the tarp folded from his trailer. Paid his asking price on the spot and had him hold it til I got back, and 20 more guys saw it and tried to buy from him, all day long. Five more ran up to me and wanted to buy it off my shoulder before I got to the parking lot.

Funny thing was, the experienced blacksmith with me thought that I overpaid, but we never saw another one cheaper that whole day. He did not realize how fast the market was changing, but I had been searching diligently for months. Know your market.

To say demand remains strong for good (and not so good) tools is an understatement.

Three years ago there had to be over 300 post vises for sale at QS.  Some big ones and little ones sold.  Most went home with the sellers.  I tried to sell a heavy 6" all week, finally lowering the price to $100 on Saturday.  It did not sell.  I brought it home and gave it away to a good friend who needed one.  So one never knows what everyone will show up with.  Get there early, bring cash, and buy if you want it.  Come back even a few minutes later and it might be gone.