I Forge Iron

I got a flyer yesterday from TSC for their pre-season fuel sale. Coal is 50 cents a bag cheaper on a ton-50 bags. 275.00 and with a 25 percent down payment they will hold it until October 1st. 

It's been so xxxx hot here I haven't had to fire up the forge,just put the steel out in the sun! 

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

I had a student of mine take over operations of a shop in a historic village.  I sold him several bags of soft coal. Visited him sime time ago and was doing well with soft coal and the old Champion 400 Whirlwind Blast fire pot.

I returned recently and he had purchased the TSC hard coal. It wont work in the fire pot. Fight. Fight. Fight.Troubles. Troubles. Troubles.

I raked it out. Threw in some soft coal I sold him and he was heating steel.

Mr.Reynolds,

Was the tractor supply corp. anthracite coal nut size or rice size? They sell both. Many people are having trouble with the rice sized coal. The nut coal works better.

Regards,

SLAG.

That is true. He had purchased both. I can't say for sure. it pops and crackles like shale. It would plug the air holes. I remember clearing the air holes and cranking the champion blower and nothing was happening.  The steel was trying to turn red. Wouldn't go to orange/yellow. 

1 hour ago, SReynolds said:

That is true. He had purchased both. I can't say for sure. it pops and crackles like shale. It would plug the air holes. I remember clearing the air holes and cranking the champion blower and nothing was happening.  The steel was trying to turn red. Wouldn't go to orange/yellow. 

My local TSC has had some on order for a while.  I love it.  It's not smithing coal but it does reach welding temps for me and ash wasn't a problem at all.

Probably the rice sized. It would go down into the bottom of the fire pot and plug off the air.He was using some of the nut sized with the soft coal I sold him. The Hard coal-nut sized was recommended by a friend of his who performs some smithing on the other side of the state. But I can tell you I have tried some nut sized hard coal and I was embarrassed to have to perform in front of a live studio audience. It just wasn't right. In fact the guy I replaced said not to use it. It was dumped on top of the soft coal and can remember digging for it. But he was on the way out and I took over. Now it was my problem and had a time to get rid of it. Even visited TWO stove shops that sell it and THEY didn't even want it.

I hauled it around and was about to dump it in the land-fill. I found an Amish shop that wanted to use it in their coal furnace. It was quite a truck load. Now that I have all soft coal, it's like sliding into a hot tub. Very relaxing and you have no worries.