I Forge Iron

Mad cow

While making a bull's head bottle opener recently I was a bit careless punching the eyes. Usually I get them level, but a slip with the punch left one eye lower than the other. The result is a strange looking bull. However, it led to an idea. Why not make a cow's head that looks a bit crazy? So I did a couple of bottle openers with cow's heads deliberately dodgy. I think they might go well at a popular Townsville nightclub called 'The Mad Cow' , so I stamped that on the shaft. Any other ideas of how to make a crazy looking cow?

DSC_6038.JPG

DSC_6037.JPG

DSC_6036.JPG

Thanks for the ideas. Not sure how I could add a bit of tongue hanging out but that would look good. I'll try one with different sized eyes and twist the head offline a bit. And yes, easy to jumble the letters.

The dragons I've seen done with tongues all had them forged out, then tig welded in place.

You could also change the design and use an open mouth and use that as the opener, sort of like the "claw" style openers vs the loop style you are using now. That would give you a lot of foam around the mouth after you open the beer possibly.

• 4 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 10:53 AM, CTBlades said:

So how mad was the cow because his eyes aren't level? Those are really nice btw!

Mad enough that they blow bubbles through the nostrils when you quench them! Kids like that.

Heh...having had a bull that's not mean but so dumb you'd think he was crazy, this made me chuckle.  

On a weird side note, cattle almost always have a "whorl" of the hair on their face.  It is said  that the higher that whorl is on the face above the eye-line, the crazier the bovine's temperament.  Some people swear by this method of judging cattle temperament but the "research" has been pretty subjective and ripe with confirmation bias.

I wonder if it works with eyebrows and picking a spouse too?  (check's old photos of his crazy ex wife)

round.cattle.hairwhorl.jpg