I Forge Iron

A pair of carcass splitters

So, some of y'all might remember the carcass splitter I made a while back.

carcasssplitter20_zps664091ee.jpg

Well, I made a couple more.  :D I wanted these to be wider blades, more like meat cleavers and less like a Chinese pole arm.  The original was forged from 1/4" x 2" 5160; these were forged from 1/4" x 3" 5160.  The new ones have hemp wraps and Turk's head knots over a foundation of neoprene, all impregnated with marine epoxy.

carcasssplitter04_zpsfkduh25o.jpg

They were on my table at the Blade Show.  The lights of the wood display behind me made it hard to get decent photos of my side of the aisle, but this should give an idea of size in hand, and also what a year's worth of beard growing looks like on me.

bladeshow01_zpslphfznwe.jpg

bladeshow02_zpsaozgjo8g.jpg

The longer of the two has a 17" blade and an overall length of 36".

carcasssplitter02_zpsn1eaezkw.jpg

carcasssplitter01_zpsl5kp1w48.jpg

The smaller of the two has a 14 3/4" blade and 34 1/2" overall length.

carcasssplitter03_zpsd0jxlzfv.jpg

As before, the sheaths are a collaboration between myself and my buddy Tobin Nieto.  In this case they are distressed rawhide over a Kydex core, with brick red India ink "blood splatters" added by me.  We wanted something that looked like it would hang above Leatherface's bed.  I think we got the look.  :D

carcasssplitter05_zpsk1h2pskx.jpg

The big one is on its way to South Africa with Trevor Burger, the fellow in the blue shirt standing behind me facing the other way.  He makes awesome folders.  He had us write a label stating "Sold to Trevor Burger" on the table next to it and would periodically check to make sure that the label was still there.  The smaller one is on its way to California.

I have several more carcass splitters and large cleavers coming along in the next little bit, too.  These are kind of fun to do, though definitely a challenge working on this scale.

Like the look of those!

Old fella I knew used to use one of those type of tools on the cattle we killed ourselves, I tried it once, nasty weapon, made a nasty mess of the carcass in my hands :(

- went back to using the chainsaw pretty quick!

Thank y'all!

Daswulf - I did not.  The package for shipping the big one was a bit over 5 pounds.  The original was 3 lbs 7 oz and balanced at the Turk's head.  With the new ones, the big one balanced at the Turk's head and the smaller one balanced just back of the Turk's head.

Jackdawg - These ought to cut meat pretty well.  They'll shave hair.  Not sure about heavy bone, but they will do just fine chopping hardwood all day.

DSW - A fellow knifemaker took a pic of me acting like I was shaving with the big carcass splitter.  But, it's on Instagram and I can't save pics from there. 

I think that grin in the picture might explain why nobody was standing close to the table. I could be wrong of course but that's the feeling I get.

Another market for blades like that would be pizza parlors it's a LOT easier cutting pizza with a long knife than one of those roller pizza cutter thingy jobbers.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 6 months later...