I Forge Iron

What steel is this?

What would it be good for? I know this is vague...looks like it is from a bridge or maybe some kind of water company part... two plus inches thick maybe 3 feet long bolts..

it was in the way so I have to take a chop saw to it just to move it...took over 30 minutes to cut 4 bolts I had to rock bolts back and forth just to get them cut...xxxxxxx hard steel..

So back to this....what is it good for? Ideas? Opinions? 

thumbnail_20160623_205813_resized.jpg

thumbnail_20160623_205827_resized.jpg

thumbnail_20160623_205701_resized.jpg

what did the spark test say?

yeah pretty broad question.  how about scrap art table legs? or giant s hooks, or big leaves, drifts, punches, hammers, or forge them into............ 

you sure threw out a broad one there.

Need opinion on sparks so here...sparks look same about 3 feet out...if that helps..

would it make good knife stock? If its good steel..I don't want to waste it until I get "good" at something 

thumbnail_Screenshot_20160624-002922_resized.jpg

thumbnail_Screenshot_20160624-003140_resized.jpg

its angled at table, would shoot about 3 ft out otherwise

Hi b4utoo,

Seeing the sparks and based on my own experience with this kind of big bolts I'd say it's at the 0,6 % C range at max. I'd say also this is a plain carbon steel containing no special alloying elements. (I mean: Mo, Cr, V, W. I can't see any traces in the sparks reffering to these elements.)

With proper heat treatment this stuff can be so hard it is very hard to cut with saw, or file, drill or machine it. Yet I wouldn't suggest to make knife kind pieces form it. 1. It's in the low C range for knives (except big ones), 2. its shape and size makes it PITA to draw it to flat. Pretty good stock for hammers, ax-shaped toys and stuff like that.

Bests:

Gergely 

Thank you both...

Well as it stands now...I can barely chop saw it....one of the hardest pieces of steel i've come across ...

I have 4140 and 1045 and a few other steels laying round.... and this is different than what i have at hand...seems denser...

Was hoping it would be good for hammers because  of its current state...

I'm thinking it's nice sized medium carbon stock, hammers come to mind immediately but there are a lot of things it'd work a treat for. I'd mark it and store it in a corner of the shop for when I need it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Pretty interesting. You might cut off a few ounces and work with it. 50 or 60 points of carbon will make a good knife. Up until the last half of the 20th century hard/ultra hard knife blades did not become that much of a marketing issue. Let us know how it turns out.

I'd have to research more that's pretty modern for my interests, (Though I did just re-read the harpoon forging scene in Moby Dick)  I'd be that if you were to research Huntsman's work they would make a fuss over his cast steel being superior and they did esteem double cased blister steel as being better than the single version when forged into shear steel.   The big problem is that they didn't have an easy way to determine carbon content---in fact not until  the 1780's did they figure out that it was carbon that changes iron into steel. 

Keep this in mind. Abrasive chop saws often don't cut "thick" stock well. The waste can't clear the cut and it smears and loads the blade matrix. At that point the blade won't cut well at all. Once loaded up though the blade will not cut well until the loaded surface is removed.  Just like with a bench grinder you may need to dress the wheel to expose new clean abrasive. A waste chunk of concrete or hard stone will often wear away the loaded part of the wheel and restore it's ability to cut well again.

Looking at the pict with the ruler in it, I'd have to rate those rods as "thick" and easily able to load up an abrasive saw blade and reduce it's ability to cut well. I'm betting that, not necessarily being "hard" was the problem.

2 hours ago, DSW said:

Keep this in mind. Abrasive chop saws often don't cut "thick" stock well. The waste can't clear the cut and it smears and loads the blade matrix. At that point the blade won't cut well at all. Once loaded up though the blade will not cut well until the loaded surface is removed.  Just like with a bench grinder you may need to dress the wheel to expose new clean abrasive. A waste chunk of concrete or hard stone will often wear away the loaded part of the wheel and restore it's ability to cut well again.

Looking at the pict with the ruler in it, I'd have to rate those rods as "thick" and easily able to load up an abrasive saw blade and reduce it's ability to cut well. I'm betting that, not necessarily being "hard" was the problem.

I haven't used chop saws all the much.....what you said makes sense...especially since the way I had to cut the pieces follows your line of scenarios...will try the cleaning of the wheel. 

I have a nice hand held dewalt metal band saw...do you think that would have better luck at cutting it?

Might. I use my bandsaw for cutting most heavy sections. My preference being the stationary horizontal bandsaw, but I often use my portaband in the field.  If the material is hard it may damage the bandsaw blade though. I usually "test" materials I'm not sure of. Usually that means I'll take a regular hacksaw or file to it and see if it cuts. If I can cut it with the hacksaw, the portable bandsaw will cut it no problem. If it skates and won't cut, then It's hard and I'll choose some other method of cutting. That way if I damage a hacksaw blade it's no big deal.

As far as the chop saw goes, orientation of the stock can make a big deal on how well it cuts. For example 1/2" x 4" flat stock. If laid flat in the 4" direction, it's almost certain to load the blade and take forever to cut. If stood on end instead, so it's only 1/2" the blade is trying to cut, it will cut much better. Angle iron can be set on a ^ to cut better. Not always an option but something to keep in mind.