I Forge Iron

The Viking Damascus Blade

WOLFJOHN

This was one of my favorite projects last winter. It's truly a good thing I don't do this for a living,
 I'd starve due to how slow I go at getting everything just right. There's sure a lot of talent on this forum, I love to see the younger ones getting into this craft too. :rolleyes:

viking.jpg

On June 18, 2016 at 8:17 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Beautifully done, blade and hilting excellent!  I just wish you hadn't put the fake horns on the viking helmet---they didn't have them you know.

Maybe the Viking is a Los Angeles Rams fan?? :D

Super job on it!!!

• 1 month later...

Another Beautiful blade. Sad to hear your packing it in but our hands can only do so much in our lifetime. I sure hope you'll stick around and pass on some knowledge. If you need to retire your hands, dont retire your brain.

.The knives are superlative. Perfect examples of skill, design, functionality, and experience. Superb work.

Your qualities are invaluable. If you can, please pass it on to the next generation.

A lady Anna Mary Robertson, developed severe arthritis in her right hand and could no longer do embroidery at age 78. Her daughter suggested that she try painting as a pastime. She lived to 101 years & produced 1,500 canvases in her remaining years. Her married name was "Grandma Moses", and the rest is history. Her distinctive artwork is appreciated and displayed world-wide One of her paintings recently sold for $1,200,000.

My point is, if we can no longer do something, move on and do some alternative, pastime or skill.

I have had to make similar choices. We are probably in the same boat.

Forgive me if this post is officious, and preachy. I did it to be constructive: to be helpful..

Best regards,

SLAG.

Thank You for all the kind compliments, I do appreciate it.

I would like to tell all the younger knifemakers just a couple very important things this old sage can tell you......first, go slow, buy yourself some pre-made blades and work on the fit & finish. I watched the Forged In Fire TV show...I figured I'd got the boot the first round due to when the time was up...I'd still be sitting at the table with my Crayons drawing my design after 3 hours.  Nothing makes good forge work look bad than not seeing it all the way thru to the end with the same desire of you did in the beginning making your blade . When you're done, check your work in the daylight (not under fluorescent lights!)...if you find a flaw...hand it to your wife...she will find three more - no kidding. Some of you are snickering about this and you know what I'm talking about. After many years, you get "Coal Eyes" and you just miss stuff sometimes. My wife in my final Quality Assurance person on all my work.

The second thing is, don't be afraid to mess up. I think a person could build a Peterbilt out of the steel I've messed up on, You just stay at it. You burn yourself, smash your fingers but you just keep going. I dunno, when I finish a piece of work, be it a knife or anything else, I feel good about it knowing I did my best. Although I know I am not "the best"...I did "my" best and that's what counts. Being confident in what YOU can do and appreciate your own ability is absolutely paramount in this craft.

Although I am turning the wick down more on my shop work, there will always be that draw to do some work now and then and I will share it here with you.

To you younger smiths, keep going, keep working and fine tuning your abilities, most of all share what you learn. We all know, you can't teach what you yourself didn't learn so....there it is...teach someone what you know so they too, can continue this wonderful craft as well and pass it on.  :D

2 hours ago, WOLFJOHN said:

The second thing is, don't be afraid to mess up. I think a person could build a Peterbilt out of the steel I've messed up on, You just stay at it. You burn yourself, smash your fingers but you just keep going. I dunno, when I finish a piece of work, be it a knife or anything else, I feel good about it knowing I did my best. Although I know I am not "the best"...I did "my" best and that's what counts. Being confident in what YOU can do and appreciate your own ability is absolutely paramount in this craft.

There is some real wisdom in that paragraph. I feel like I'm guilty of being 'afraid to mess up' on a regular basis. Even though I want to throw some of my 'failures' away my wife proudly puts them to use. In fact one of my first knives is currently seeing use in the kitchen and it was a simple stock removal from a sawzall blade. 

First I agree absolutely beautiful knives!!!!  Second I am one of those younger makers (well I am 30) I have been making knives for about a year and a half and I am finally feeling combtorable taking someones money for one of my knives, for me I need that knife to be as perfect as I can get it to take money for it. but also since I am just starting to sell some knives and hopefully get back some of the thousands of dollars that has been put toward equipment and supplies. recently I have had a hard time with your first piece of advice (go slow) and when I try to go to fast I make mistakes some times I just have to walk away for a day....THANK YOU for sharing your advice I take the advice from the older makers a lot more seriously now that I want to make a great quality knife and hey you are the guys that know how to do that I also agree with others and hope you can continue to share som knowledge with use even tho you will not be making blades as much any more. lastly I hope you enjoy your retirement but you may find it doesn't suit you when my father retired he got BORED and picked up new hobbies and side work...

WolfJohn,

I love what you have done with the damascus patterning on the Bowie.  Was that compressed on the bias to a square bar, cut into four sections,   stacked two  high and two wide, drawn to a bar and ladder grooves applied?  Great pattern. I will miss seeing more examples of your work.  They always gave me something to aspire to.

Jonathan

• 10 months later...