I Forge Iron

Aspiring blacksmith need advice on forge build

MadsRC

Hehehe, uh thx, Lucky? The fires I use professionally are more than hot enough to melt the irons I put in (been using them roughly 14 years). The "clinker" I've noted, simply demonstrates various characteristics based on the location from where it came (not on temperature of fire). This is after using about 6 tons of Elk Valley Coal, 1 ton of British Coal, 1/2 ton of Pennsylvania Coal.  Now warrant that it wouldn't be specific to a country, but more likely, the mine from where it is extracted (in the case of the British and Penn coal, maybe even the seam---since the sampling wasn't large enough nor at different extraction times). The British coal I was using, was from a variety of samples from a 40' shipping container full (but even that would only account for a small fraction of a single seam). I've seen no difference between the coals using a variety of formats from coal dust (with about 5% fines) to 3/4"-1" chunks, assisted with water or not, nor using pre-coked coal or not.....the outcome of the clinker seems to have similar characteristics I'd mentioned earlier.

2 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Depends on the coal too; some coals produce ashy clinker and others glassy clinker---no matter what the heat.

Yes, that's what i'm finding out! I'd like to get samples of coal to test from Australia as well, just to see how its' clinker form.

Most of the gang call me Frosty but I AM a Lucky guy there was quite the thread going on my behalf in the prayer section in '09. Lucky's fine with me or you can call me Jerry, they're all good.

There are other variables like how long it's been exposed and what the weather was like. If it rained a lot on the stock piles there'll be less clinker but if it was windy dusty there will be more.

I wasn't talking about the quantity just it's behavior in the fire, almost all surface minerals melt at around 2,000f, many if not most less. The only time I've had clinker not stick together in a lump was when I missed a piece of coal shale and there just wasn't enough fire to vitrify or melt it. Our available metallurgical coal is mine up to 1 ton/yr. yourself for private use. There are two main strip mine ditches where smithing coal is found each one of about 40 exposed seams. Some are maybe 6" thick and a couple close to 24" thick but which one to dig is the secret. Some guys just go scoop what's eroded out of the bank and try using it. You CAN process it by screening and washing it but it's a mixed bag of qualities.

I don't k now which seam to dig and am too old and fat to take a portable forge and test samples. I could map, label, sample, test and return for follow up samples but it's a PITA I'm not really willing to go through. Nobody is allowed to sell any or the energy company that owns the right will come after violators with a vengeance.

Anyway, I went with winkling out a naturally aspirated propane forge burner and that's what I forge with.

Frosty The Lucky.

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

Most of the gang call me Frosty but I AM a Lucky guy there was quite the thread going on my behalf in the prayer section in '09. Lucky's fine with me or you can call me Jerry, they're all good.

wow, you really are lucky. I just went through all of the pages in that topic and am glad your still here, it just wouldn't be the same with out you.

Littleblacksmith

I've never been able to read more than a few pages, the pain and fear in Deb's posts hurt too much. I can't imagine what I put her through though I see the effects every day.

Just thinking about how many people were pulling for me is humbling, I'm just a guy.

Frosty The Lucky.

2 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I've never been able to read more than a few pages, the pain and fear in Deb's posts hurt too much. I can't imagine what I put her through though I see the effects every day.

Just thinking about how many people were pulling for me is humbling, I'm just a guy.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well, since our acquaintance is post-arboreal, I'm glad you pulled through.