I Forge Iron

Forge name  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Hi guys, I'm looking to officially name my forge soon, and I justwanted to run past you guys that the name "Flaming Raven Forge" isn't taken.

• Nope, its free.
    • That's my name !

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would said mutant snipe convert Thomas to snippets?

@ the OP bare in mind that language use and the meaning and connotation can change quite rapidly even in good old ZA le. Not many years ago if you told your buddy you are going to Cape town to march with pride to the castle they would have thought it was some military thing, Today not so much!

As for weather something is "local custom " or plain wrong is based on your cultural interpretation.  what your dad 'accepts now may cause him great distress/upset later if he finds out otherwise later, think about it long and hard before you BS him.

When I was 17 I thought my dad was quite Dumd and by 22 I was amazed at just how much he had learnt in 5 years sort of thing!

I don't think my dad is dumb , i just dont want to conform to things that are not relevant to me.

But I might have to postpone the opening by about 3 or 4 years due to studies  ... So I have lots of time to figure it out. Thanks

Michael.

It occurred to me the other day that it's profoundly odd to name a blacksmithing business "XYZ forge" .

A forge is one predictable aspect of a blacksmiths shop like a restroom at a gas station.  Successful gas stations are famous for NOT BEING NAMED after their commode.  Nor are they named after the gas pump, or the cash register.  Perhaps there would be more successful blacksmith's if they could focus on what their potential customer would be looking for.

Now if you had a business that actually made forges for sale, I could see naming it "XYZ Forges".

Otherwise, why not actually tell your customer what the heck you're trying to sell?

Anything with "Forge" in it nowadays is a campy attempt to make an unrelated product sound vintage or rustic.  I believe I saw a lemonade company with forge in their name not too long ago.

If you're wedded to the raven part, you might swap "Flaming" for "Red".  A red raven would be a curiosity worthy of investigation.  A flaming raven evokes caution.  Plus "Red Raven" has a bit more flow (in English).

Mirriam - Webster...

Full Definition of forge

1. 1 :  a furnace or a shop with its furnace where metal is heated and wrought :

2. 2 :  a workshop where wrought iron is produced or where iron is made malleable

On the name... maybe switch the order to something like Raven Fire.

2 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Burney Bird Bibelots?   

Forge being used for both the smithy and the iron production site historically has caused some confusion over the centuries.

Don't forget the process and product. The word "forge" is coming into so much common usage as to start becoming meaningless for any specific use.

Here's a thought for the folk who call the world's current largest and most active blacksmithing forum. How about we come to a consensus as to what to call the fire place we heat our steel in? I like the Brit's use of "Hearth." It's not only accurate it has deeper meaning being derived from "Heart." If your hearth isn't the heart of your smithy what is?

Whatcha think, hmmmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.

you mean like a wordsmith forging shakespearean sonnets?

To me the hearth is a specific part of the forge, the part that holds the coal where the firepot may be inserted. However historically....

"Of setting up a Smith's Forge"

The Hearth, or Fire-place of the Forge marked A. (in Plate 1) is to be built up from your floor with Brick about two foot and an half, or sometimes two foot nine Inches high, according to the purpose you design your Forge for; for if your Forge be intended for heavy work, your Hearth must lie lower than it need be for light work, for easiness of management and so broad as you think convenient:"   Joseph Moxon "Mechanick Exercises or the Doctrine of Handy-Works"  (reprinted from the 1703 edition)

Boy I like this guy---"According to the purpose you design your forge for!"

Or Duddly Smith forging $100 bills.

I don't think we'll ever know the origin of the term, I'll bet it's as old as humanity using fire for something other than roasting Mammoth. Before forging copper, say tempering obsidian to make flaking blades easier? Oh heck fire hardening spear and hole digger points even.  Heck, probably before a word for a fire place.

I think the word "forge" is a new fangled invention. Darned younguns can't understand a thing they say.

Frosty The Lucky.

It's two nations separated by a common language I never knew the connotations of " flaming " from a US point but them again " scrumping" is to steal apples here and I think that had a total different meaning in your nation

Too many words in a buisness not good. Needs to be short,  sweet and memorable imo 

9 hours ago, Frosty said:

How about we come to a consensus as to what to call the fire place we heat our steel in

Frosty you josh!  30,000 something members in 34 or so countries and you want a consensus.  We can't agree on important stuff like the time of day, seasons ( we have friends here who celebrate Christmas in the middle of the summer and a day before some of the rest of us).  The best Beer, type of hammers, the best steel, best fuel, long aprons or chaps, or even the best form of "Football".  The list goes on and on.

In my shop it's a FORGE.  I don't believe in Rewriting history, good for my great grandfather good enough for me. 

Draavi,  you've made a solid observation.  So I guess you could name your business "XYZ Forges" so long as you're making either blacksmithing workshops, or actual forges.

Going back to my gas station analogy, they don't name themselves "Refinery" either.  Smiths are obsessed with the term "Forge" whereas their clients likely have little recognition of what that means.  I think Frosty made an excellent point.  If you asked people at random to name a forged item, I think many of them would answer "counterfeiting", "fraud", or "identity theft". 

None of which are particularly flattering associations to make with your life's work as a blacksmith.  That is unless you're a blacksmith who forges forgeries of famous forge forgings in your forge.

The very worst words for setting your business apart, are those that lack universally understood meaning. 

What do you guys think of simply "red raven blacksmithing" it iliminates the chance that people think I'll make them fake IDs, and it doesn't sound like a gay bar. 

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

Michael.

Red Raven Blacksmithing sounds good to me too. Just don't wait for a consensus to decide. :blink:

Here's a bit of old history coincidence. When the internet went public and I got signed on the only metal head sites I spent any time on were Artmetal list and theforge list. My email signoff was.

"If it ain't forged it ain't real.

wrought iron is.

The Frostworks."

Frosty The Lucky.

yeah cause if the concebsus is done with it then I can end up with " the forge of birds that whete once on fire" or something like that ...

So its settled then, "red raven blacksmithing "

Thanks

Michael.