I Forge Iron

Show me your Chain maille !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Here are two micro maille pieces I made years ago.  Both are 24g (0.02" wire) and 1/16" ID rings.  The ring is sterling silver and the tetrahedron is anodized titanium.  The little tetrahedron fits on an a poker chip and can hold a couple pounds before sagging...

tetrahedron.jpg

byzantine ring.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, PapaDooks said:

just a few bits i made at different times. top two are basically same thing just one has crystal drops. last isn't really mail but i figure kind of fits the theme :D

426219_214501241980570_18338300_n.jpg

Snail maille isn't it?

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...

I like to blacksmith, and my wife likes to knit -- we're what you call a "steel wool couple". That gave me the idea for knitting maille on circular needles:

IMG_2736.JPG

(Just a bit of fun with garage door spring and copper wire left over from an electrical project.)

• 3 months later...

I know this is pretty old post, but here is an example of mail I have made.  It's made from 16 gauge wire, punched with a modified nail set, and riveted with triangle rivets made from the same wire.  The links are a bit big with an OD of around 12mm, kind of outside of the historical norm.  To set the rivets I used an old pair of clinchers that was made by Steve of Forth Castle when he was still making them.  

mail.jpg.8eab6fd6b46f94a4cf71e146aaf230b9.jpg

I would still like to get the process better and more historical at some point. :)

Jason

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my book bag, it used to be a shirt, but I figured I would get better use out of it this way. 

It uses galvanised steel, with copper for the inlay. I can't remember the sizes though, its nearly 10 years old and still used without fail.

Empty, it weighs 8lb. 

FB_IMG_1505407733551.jpg