I Forge Iron

Need some help with appraisel of small shop

That little cauldron is pretty sweet. That would fit right in with my love of Halloween ;)

The Practical Blacksmithing book is also a good find. I have a copy myself.

Anything special about the steel, or is it just mild steel? Looks like some tooling in the making with the bigger bar.

Don't worry about the crack in the one forge, it won't affect its use. If you get rid if the Trenton, you may want to package it with the extra forge to sweeten the deal. 

If you get good rebound all over,or it checks out with a ball bearing and a ruler you should be good. Look the edges over as that is a commonly repaired item. If you don't see any weld it may have been just how the picture was originally taken making it look repaired. 

Im not really sure about the steel, the guy had a smaller forge and blower he sold a few weeks ago and the buyer took all of the stock so i picked through and took what was left. The round cutouts are very thick sheet steel and theres that heavy duty bar the rest is those smaller rods. There was only one forge so if i sell an anvil it will be just the anvil.  I did notice it looked like there was grinder/file??? Marks on the edges 

"7 hammers with concave faces" are top swages and not hammers as they are not swung but placed and then struck.  Do their radii match up with the bottom swages (hardy tooling)  If you have matched sets they become more useful for doing things like tenons.

The round steel disks would go on my shelves for use when I needed to bend things to that curve and then they would be adapted into a simple bending jig---or a fancier one if I need to do a production run...

18 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Why do you say the anvil is repaired? It looks like a typical sway backed Peter Wright to me.

I disagree that package deals are only good for the seller. I have gotten better deals many times because I was buying everything, and not just bits and pieces. The seller looked at it as they wouldn't have to mess around trying to peddle off the remainder.  I recently went to look at a Kaiser pie press that was used in a commercial pie shop. The guy had it listed for $450 obo. They usually bring upwards of $2,000 rebuilt.  I get to the guys house and look it over, and it is in good shape, but you can tell it was used. He had closed a restaurant years ago, and these last items were the remnants, and they were taking up space in his small garage.. It was kind of funny that the restaurant he closed was 20 miles up the road from where I grew up in CA, and we both ended up in Southern NV. Anyways, he says tell ya what, for $500 I'll toss in the extra dies, a case of pie pans, the pie transport chest, a case of pie cutters, the signs, the slicer unit for a Hobart VS9, and for $800 I'll throw in the Groen 40qt tilting steam kettle that he had listed for  $450 obo. I tell him I'll think it over and see if I can find a buyer for the kettle in a couple of days as I wasn't interested in it at the time. I get home later that night and do a Google search on the Groen kettle. Turns out the kettle new is over $6,000, and they have a ton of uses besides pies. I contacted him the next morning and sealed the deal.  He got his garage space back, and I got $3,000+ worth of used value commercial equipment for $800.  So,in a way it was a great deal for him too, as he doesn't have to mess with it anymore.

Another time my buddy and I went to a closed Dodge/Jeep dealership sale. They had all of the factory shop manuals piled on a table, and priced at $5 each. I ask them how much for all of them...which surprised them. He thinks a minute then asks $50? Done! As that is what I was thinking. I filled the entire back of a 77 Pinto wagon with shop manuals. The first automotive swapmeet we took them to we made a profit on the very first sale of a set for $60. 

Even if he can't use most of what is there, he now has trading material to get whet he does need.

"The whole is greater than the sum of the parts". 

Aristotle

Yes it is a generalisation AND there are exceptions to every rule.

The edges seem way too crisp and sharp for the ammount of swayback IMHO. 

I have bought out entire shops and gotten great deals.