I Forge Iron

Frosty, You'll Really Hate Me Now! LOL (A belt grinder thread)

Well, I got up this morning and dropped my son off at school. Got home and this was in the driveway....

A Burr King Model 760 belt grinder. This brings my total number of belt grinders to four. Long story short, I did some horse trading and got this for a couple hundred bux. He dropped it off on his way down to Ohio. I'll pay him for it and do some work on a couple stud welders he has. Granted, it needs some work, just like the Ryman, but at around $2000+ retail, I think I did ok. :lol:

Frosty said he hated me when I posted pix of the Ryman. I'm sure this will draw his ire even more... :o

Honestly, I wish Mr Frost lived close, I would hook you up with a nice grinder. I've seen a number of them come and go around here over the years. I'm going to fix it up and keep it. Even if I put $500 in it, it would be like new, with a VFD drive and completely rebuilt. I'll fab up a new aluminum door for it and probably buy a new contact wheel for it too. I'll also fabricate a real base for it and the Ryman. The scrapyard has some nice larger thin wall box tubing. Gotta see if they still have some. It'll make a great pedestal for each machine. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

He gave me two Millermatic 35 welders too. You can see them in the background of the second pic.

Heres the other three machines. First the Ryman.

image.jpeg

Then my two Kalamazoo machines. I built these both from existing machines I modified. The horizontal is a 2" X 72" that started out life as a kit you buy from Kalamazoo and add your own motor. I extended the contact wheel arm out about 12" further than the factory one and put a hard nylon caster on it for a contact wheel. Works pretty good for a low budget machine.

The upright is a 4" X 60" Kalamazoo that started out life as a horizontal wet table grinder. Got it from MSU salvage for $100 about five years ago. It was really, really nasty. They were grinding some kind of stone with it. Had before pix, but they're long gone... Completely gutted it, turned it into a vertical unit. Cut the table assembly down and turned it into a stand. Made sheet metal sides for it and put a 2 HP motor in it from good 'ol harbor freight lol. Works real nice and has lots of power.

Im running out of room fast! I used to have a monster 10" X 60" Sunstrand belt grinder with a 5 HP motor on it. Shoulda kept it but it was just too big for my needs and frankly, it scared the heck out of me. Had a belt blow up in my face on it once. Bad times :unsure:

Well, I'm sure Frosty really hates my guts now.... :P

Thanks for viewing. If anyone has any tips for installing VFDs I'm all ears. Already got some real good info out of a power hammer thread.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...