I Forge Iron

Adjustable torch holding tree for modular table systems

I suppose you can call this a "tool" I really can't call it a "project" since I use it regularly and it's been finished for awhile. I'll eventually post some pix of the rest of my modular system as I dig it all out. I had pix on another device but they're long gone.

I got a small propane forge about five years ago (divorce gift from Mom lol) and outfitted it on a rolling table. Being I don't have a lot of room, and work full time out of my garage, I need modular type setups that allow me to set a job up and tear it back down to be stored when I'm not doing any forging. I also wanted flexibility and the ability to make fast changes to setups as the job might dictate. One of the first things I made was this. It is a fully adjustable torch tree for placing and securing torch bodies for hands free operation. Some work I do will not fit in my forge, so I heat it with oxy fuel. Having this torch tree allows me to position a torch in a specific place so I can place the work under the head when I want to heat it, or position a torch head where I can heat a hand held object directly before the anvil. I can also set a torch into either of the holders for a moment without having to turn it off as well. I believe there's three or four holes in the upright for different height setups. The pin is a ball detent and can be removed on the fly with one hand.

It has two fully articulating holders with extra large wing nuts welded to 3/8' bolts to lightly secure the torch bodies when setting in the holders. One specifically for my large body Airco combo torch (I call it The Big Gun lol) and the other one for medium and small body torch sets which are all Victor. I have a number of tables with the same 2" square holes in them for use with a large number of modular tool setups I've made. I can move this torch tree anywhere in my shop where I have a hole for it. I'll post up some of the other stuff I have, which includes small anvils, vises, angle fixtures, trailer ball strikers and even a Milwaukee straight grinder. This isn't new technology by any stretch of the imagination, but I've taken ideas I've seen and added tweaks of my own to suit my needs.

For those interested, the construction was from some scrap 2" square tubing, and 2" (I think) angle which I TIG welded the holding blocks on to. I drilled and tapped a set of 1/4" blocks which I fit on the top of the tube where the holders are and welded them on. I found the wing nuts at the scrap yard and welded them to 3/8' SHCS about 1.5" long. The pin came from eBay and the little wrench for tightening to loosening the bolts holding the holders ca,e from the local pawn shop. Think that's about it..

My garage is sort of a wreck right now. I have several welding machines I've been working on that need to go, and I've been needing to do a good thorough spring cleaning since it got warm. Just ignore the junk in the background :lol:

Hope some find this useful. I've already seen a number of neat things here  on this site I plan to implement at some point in the near future. :) 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks for posting those Steve. A system like yours has been on my around to project list for a bit. The detailed picts show a lot more to the system than I'd originally suspected.

Thanks guys. I spent a few hours cleaning last night and got my forge and other modular tools out. I'll post a thread on it and include pix of this in it. This is almost a stand alone deal since it could be utilized by a number of different operators. That and it was the only thing I had access to two days ago :D 

@TwistedCustoms Once I get a good pile together, I'll usually find another reason to keep it and just move it someplace else :D

Cool. 

I use torches to heat things I can't fit in a forge.

Forge fuel is free, even propane if you know where to look.

Oxy and acetylene are very expensive in comparison. 

Very nice designand construction though. Very cool.

Thanks.

About this free propane...... :D 

Most places I know where I can get it "free" they put you in jail for taking it :lol:

Seriously tho, yea oxy fuel is very expensive. I'm willing to give propane a try, but I'll have to invest some $$ to get the stuff. I have a very nice selection of heating tips and heads for acetylene I've picked up over the years. That big rosebud (of course if we were talking die repair it would be small in comparison to that stuff lol) will drain a 300 CF acetylene cylinder in a hurry. I could only wish for a manifold system lol.

I have a shop made one that's even higher volume but I haven't been brave enough to ever hook it up. Being I got a lot of this stuff with lots of equipment I've purchased to fix and resell, I don't got a lot in it, which is a good thing.

Really thinking about a coal fueled forge. Once I can make the room it's a serious consideration. I'm major cramped for space. I have to be able to move everything out of my shop when machine work comes in. I work out of my garage full time, it's a pain once in awhile when you gotta jockey stuff around like musical chairs every time paying work comes in.

Its the nature of the beast, I'm afraid. At least for the time being...